[SOLVED] 10Gbit Router Project .. Questions.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hello ,

I decided to upgrade my network to 10Gbit , and after looking at 10Gbit Router/Switches in the market , I decided to make my own , for it will be alot cheaper and I can add ports as I wish in the future by adding Lan cards whenever it is needed . which is impossible to do in ready made routers.

I need some experienced replies please , what I need to know is :

1- How much CPU power is needed and how many threads in the CPU.
2- How much RAM is enough for this.

I am planning to use this card ( one for now will add another later ) for $365

https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-X710-DA4-Converged-Network-Adapter/dp/B01KZQMMIQ

The Wan port will be the motherboard 2.5 or 5 Gbit LAN (does not need more than that for the internet.

For the WIFI I dont know yet which route is better adding a MIMO CARD or using external WIFI for it.

The only thing I dont know about is the CPU choice for this , I dont want to over kill it. OFC it should have 16 lanes or more to be able to use at least 2 cards of 10Gbit.

and the RAM as well .

I will use Micro ATX motherboard to keep it compact , and will need just three slots , two for lan cards and one for Wifi card.

Thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello ,

I decided to upgrade my network to 10Gbit , and after looking at 10Gbit Router/Switches in the market , I decided to make my own , for it will be alot cheaper and I can add ports as I wish in the future by adding Lan cards whenever it is needed . which is impossible to do in ready made routers.

I need some experienced replies please , what I need to know is :

1- How much CPU power is needed and how many threads in the CPU.
2- How much RAM is enough for this.

I am planning to use this card ( one for now will add another later ) for $365

https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-X710-DA4-Converged-Network-Adapter/dp/B01KZQMMIQ

The Wan port will be the motherboard 2.5 or 5 Gbit LAN (does not need more than that for the internet.

For the WIFI I dont know yet which route is better adding a MIMO CARD or using external WIFI for it.

The only thing I dont know about is the CPU choice for this , I dont want to over kill it. OFC it should have 16 lanes or more to be able to use at least 2 cards of 10Gbit.

and the RAM as well .

I will use Micro ATX motherboard to keep it compact , and will need just three slots , two for lan cards and one for Wifi card.

Thanks in advance.
10GE on LAN is a useful upgrade. Unless you are supporting 100 hosts, it is not useful in a router, IMO.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
10GE on LAN is a useful upgrade. Unless you are supporting 100 hosts, it is not useful in a router, IMO.

The router is a side option to the project . it is mainly a switch. I want fast connection to deliver large files in the network. Adding WAN to it is to make it one less box.

how much memory I need and how many threads and which CPU do you recommend ?

Making your own router as a switch puts the packet load on the cpu and is a lot harder to make fast and efficient than a stand alone switch. That 10Gb card that you plan to use is alone more expensive than most used enterprise 10Gb switches. And unless you have a WAN >1Gb, making a router for >1Gb is a waste right now. The tech always gets faster/cheaper when it finally arrives.