11-Drive DRAMless SSD Round Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
There's really no reason to buy these drives. You can get way better for a little more money. What's $5 or $10 difference anyway when you can get a way better drive than these pieces of shit.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's actually a pretty big deal, to systems integrators and OEMs. I think those are the primary market for these drives - not enthusiasts like us.

Then, to get a decent SSD, they'll charge a big markup. ...yet another reason not to buy big name brand PCs.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007

Can't install add-ons on my work computer.

I have done this before with games but never with browsers, but it should still work.

Try installing a browser to a flash drive at home and adding the addons there.

Then when you get to work either copy those files to a folder on the desktop and launch from there or launch directly from the flash drive.

Not the most elegant solution, but ads suck.

Sweet talking I.T into letting you install addons for 5 minutes may also work.

Lutfij

Titan
I just finished reading through this article and to me it's a good eye opener to those in the market for a cheap SSD. I just hope this shines more light to the end user in realizing that there are instances where you do get what you pay for.

Good write up, Chris!

genz

Distinguished
"At Computex last June, one SSD vendor told us about an OEM 2D TLC SSD that will burn through the rated endurance in a little over a year. The SSD has to last a year because of the notebook's one-year warranty, but anything beyond a year's worth of use is up to the user to fix. Tactics like that are the driving forces behind putting cheap DRAMless SSDs in $500 notebooks."

This is the real reason mobile devices are winning the war. Why design a drive that lasts a year in a cheap notebook (which will likely see far more use for far longer than an expensive one that will likely be upgraded in the next 3 years -) when all mobile devices are at least built to a 2 year endurance for the length of your contract. This means a subpar drive or a well-worked drive will lose its endurance and break your laptop in 6 months. This is horribly predatory forced obsolescence, and the fact that these drives are not being talked about like OCZ's earlier failure-prone units belies the fact that they would be performing far worse.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
Thought I'd chime in on the adblocking thing: I didn't used to block ads. Then they got so they crashed, took over my browser, or made sites unusable.

There is precisely one site I frequent where I don't block ads, and that's because they're respectful of me and my devices. The ads are tasteful, relevant to the content, and don't get in the way of my interactions with the articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS