[SOLVED] 11% Packet loss non stop.

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, ive posted recently on this page due to this exact same problem. However it never truly got fixed.
So after i bought my new pc i remember having just this odd feeling playing online, it just didnt feel right. Its basically that in offline modes such as practise range or just training in general the game felt amazing (like it should) however as soon as i entered a online game it felt slow, uncontrollable and so on. From very few moments it could just suddenly feel amazing but in the next minute it would be gone again.
Id try everything i could by going to nvidia 3d panel and youtube tutorials with no success. After a hole year ive spent money on things like a new monitor, mouse and the list goes on, in the hopes of solving this odd issue.

Now i realised months back that i had 15% packet loss or something on my internet (that would explain the troubles i had) so i contacted my provider. They moved server for me but the problem remained. I asked them again and they said that its the best server they have for me and that they dont see the packet loss im encountering.
I ended up swapping provider which didnt help at all. I just ended up with 3% less packet loss which wasnt a big improvement.

A week ago i got a new idea and spent money on a new network card since i hoped it would help. It didnt solve it at all so im all out of ideas now. Hence why im here.
Now, i think this might be a driver issue but i have no clue. I rememeber having trouble starting up the pc with drivers and so on but it worked out in the end.
Ive tried contacting the company but they havent responded yet.

PLEASE HELP ME, this has been driving me crazy and ended up me stopping to play FPS games (which is my favorite type of games).

Solution
If you swapped out the NIC and still received the same issues it's either OS or wiring related.

At this point, you would need something like Wireshark, Postman or Fiddler to manually intercept and inspect packets and the responses.
Hello, ive posted recently on this page due to this exact same problem. However it never truly got fixed.
So after i bought my new pc i remember having just this odd feeling playing online, it just didnt feel right. Its basically that in offline modes such as practise range or just training in general the game felt amazing (like it should) however as soon as i entered a online game it felt slow, uncontrollable and so on. From very few moments it could just suddenly feel amazing but in the next minute it would be gone again.
Id try everything i could by going to nvidia 3d panel and youtube tutorials with no success. After a hole year ive spent money on things like a new monitor, mouse and the list goes on, in the hopes of solving this odd issue.

Now i realised months back that i had 15% packet loss or something on my internet (that would explain the troubles i had) so i contacted my provider. They moved server for me but the problem remained. I asked them again and they said that its the best server they have for me and that they dont see the packet loss im encountering.
I ended up swapping provider which didnt help at all. I just ended up with 3% less packet loss which wasnt a big improvement.

A week ago i got a new idea and spent money on a new network card since i hoped it would help. It didnt solve it at all so im all out of ideas now. Hence why im here.
Now, i think this might be a driver issue but i have no clue. I rememeber having trouble starting up the pc with drivers and so on but it worked out in the end.
Ive tried contacting the company but they havent responded yet.

PLEASE HELP ME, this has been driving me crazy and ended up me stopping to play FPS games (which is my favorite type of games).

First step: Replace cable (if Ethernet)

Second step: Try a different port on back of router.

Third step: If that doesn't help come back here. Please report NIC (network chip/card) model, Router model, cable modem/gateway model. Please list any networking software you may have installed.

BTW: If you want to see your signal strength, you can access your cable modem (if using cable modem) by typing 192.168.100.1 into your browser.

Last edited:

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
First step: Replace cable (if Ethernet)

Second step: Try a different port on back of router.

Third step: If that doesn't help come back here. Please report NIC (network chip/card) model, Router model, cable modem/gateway model. Please list any networking software you may have installed.

BTW: If you want to see your signal strength, you can access your cable modem (if using cable modem) by typing 192.168.100.1 into your browser.
Hello, sorry for the late response.
Step one is tried since a long time ago with no luck whatsoever.

Step two is quite similar, we tried it but not difference. (We even tried connecting my internet cable directly to the "fiber" box instead of a router, didnt work..

Ill be back soon with information about the NIC and etc, but right now im doing some internet tests to truly find out if this actually still is a packet loss problem.

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, sorry for the late response.
Step one is tried since a long time ago with no luck whatsoever.

Step two is quite similar, we tried it but not difference. (We even tried connecting my internet cable directly to the "fiber" box instead of a router, didnt work..

Ill be back soon with information about the NIC and etc, but right now im doing some internet tests to truly find out if this actually still is a packet loss problem.
A lil update,

So basically im using Google wifi mesh and its set to gamemode, i also wanna point out that ive tried connecting my cable directly into the fiber box with no difference.

Do other computers in your house experience losses? How long is your cable run? There's cat 6 cables then there are cheap Chinese made "cat 6" cables that don't comply with spec.

What does a loop back test tell you? (Ping 127.0.0.1)

What are you using for a firewall. It may be intentionally dropping your packets instead of sink holing them. This looks like packet loss.

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Do other computers in your house experience losses? How long is your cable run? There's cat 6 cables then there are cheap Chinese made "cat 6" cables that don't comply with spec.

What does a loop back test tell you? (Ping 127.0.0.1)

What are you using for a firewall. It may be intentionally dropping your packets instead of sink holing them. This looks like packet loss.
Alright, ive turned off the firewall and i did feel a improvement. However it didnt really seem to be the source of the actual problem.
I dont get what you mean however with the ping thing.

3 things usually.
1. strong current cables next to data cables. it can affect the data through magnetic fields just enough for firewall to think they are corrupted or an attack.

solution:
  1. pinpoint X -> Y problematic place. Check short cable from modem directly to verify If it happens with data comming in or inside. (if its outside, call your ISP to check closest box to you).
  2. if its inside, you can try to power down stuff while running benchmarks. You should see difference when one of them fires up.
  3. if you find the source of distortion, then you have 2 options.
a) distance distorsion from data cable. its r^3 so double the distance is x10 weaker problem.
b) replace the cable, but not with random one but cat6 or cat7 one.

2. Strong/weak wifi (if you dont run cable all the way)
in cases where any step between is wireless you need to confirm there are no stronger antenas that can basicly jam yours.
a lot of apps for phone that can help detect.

3. loooooooooooooooooooooooooong cable.
they all have a limit after which it keeps loosing data. you need to either move to wireless at some point to cut corners or have signal repeater in middle of it.

3 things usually.
1. strong current cables next to data cables. it can affect the data through magnetic fields just enough for firewall to think they are corrupted or an attack.

solution:
  1. pinpoint X -> Y problematic place. Check short cable from modem directly to verify If it happens with data comming in or inside. (if its outside, call your ISP to check closest box to you).
  2. if its inside, you can try to power down stuff while running benchmarks. You should see difference when one of them fires up.
  3. if you find the source of distortion, then you have 2 options.
a) distance distorsion from data cable. its r^3 so double the distance is x10 weaker problem.
b) replace the cable, but not with random one but cat6 or cat7 one.

2. Strong/weak wifi (if you dont run cable all the way)
in cases where any step between is wireless you need to confirm there are no stronger antenas that can basicly jam yours.
a lot of apps for phone that can help detect.

3. loooooooooooooooooooooooooong cable.
they all have a limit after which it keeps loosing data. you need to either move to wireless at some point to cut corners or have signal repeater in middle of it.

1. Quality cables are properly shielded and twisted against the vast majority of electric fields commonly seen. They work in a matter similar to XLR audio cables. There's a positive copy of the signal and a negative copy (RX+, RX-, TX+, TX-). If a noisy field intervenes, then both positive and negative voltages will slew in the same direction making such filtering easy to remove noise based on common/ground. Twisting the wires helps ensure they are both affected the same way. If the packet is corrupted, the TCP/IP will likely contain a corrupted header and the checksum will fail. (https://www.tutorialspoint.com/ipv4/ipv4_packet_structure.htm)

2. WiFi is only interfered with by non-compliant 802.11 Hardware that use 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. This can include some radar installations on 5GHz band, or older consumer hardware like old wireless phone handsets or baby monitors that were analog. WiFi is designed to time slice co-operate with one another in congested networks. It's part of the massive overhead that is associated with WiFi and why we rarely if ever reach theoretical peak performance, especially in crowded areas.

3. Yes going past official spec on length can cause all sorts of issue. Also using joiners can cause signal reflection which leads to all sorts of issues. Wrapping them in coils can also cause issues.

Alright, ive turned off the firewall and i did feel a improvement. However it didnt really seem to be the source of the actual problem.
I dont get what you mean however with the ping thing.

Ping thing:

1. [windows key] type "cmd". Right click on command prompt and run as admin
  2. Inside window type "Ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter.

This is a local loopback test. This will tell you if the source of the error is internal or not. (127.0.0.1 is a default number used to identity your own machine. It's a way of saying "Talk out loud and direct the message at myself") If you see any dropped packets then the problem is 99.9% local. (inside your house)

TheCitruss

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Ping thing:

1. [windows key] type "cmd". Right click on command prompt and run as admin
  2. Inside window type "Ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter.
This is a local loopback test. This will tell you if the source of the error is internal or not. (127.0.0.1 is a default number used to identity your own machine. It's a way of saying "Talk out loud and direct the message at myself") If you see any dropped packets then the problem is 99.9% local. (inside your house)
I did the test and it showed as 0 yet when i do a winmtr test i still have some pakcet loss..
However i wanted to adress that i think this problem isnt about internet etc within our house.
Look at this example: Before i got the pc everything was fine, net was good and no packet loss whatsoever i suppose. However as soon as i got this specific pc the net or so i thought just didnt work the same like it used to.
Im thinking this is a BIOS problem. Maybe some setting could be the cause of my pc becoming so odd in online games. Do you know any types of bad BIOS settings i should look into?