News 11 Worst Features of Windows 11 and How to Fix Them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow, I didn't know Win11 was such a kiddie's OS. That's such a step back...

Also, OneDrive does come preinstalled in Win10 (at least Pro), but you can uninstall it immediately (fortunately). It's not like the FB garbage that comes with most Android phones, where you can't even get rid of it and only block it through OS commands (bonkers!). Windows has a few of these parasitic "features" you can't get rid of because... reasons.

Regards.

Reactions: Soaptrail and dalef

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
I had Windows 11 installed for a day and then rolled my system back to Windows 10.

Here are my reasons why:
  • Start Menu...can't group start menu icons into namable categories, can't resize the start menu
  • Task Bar...can't resize task bar, right clicked context menu shows only task bar settings
  • Context Menus...removed context menu resources
  • Visuals...entire theme is similar to Mac OS (If I wanted a Mac OS theme, then I would buy a Mac)
In the article Windows Explorer was also mentioned. Microsoft created Explorer, but has never fully understood it's potential. For over a decade I have used a Windows Explorer replacement called Directory Opus. It's not free, but it is far, far better than the file manager included in Windows. If you are like me and use a file manager for all your file needs, then you should give Directory Opus a try. Even a free open source file manager is better than Windows Explorer.

Last edited:

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
I have not tried windows 11 yet but I do take offence at your still using an @aol email address comment. I write software using C++, I build my own computers and have been doing so since the 80's and guess what ? I have a @aol email address. Because it was free. I did not want to be tied to @Comcast for example or @erols.com or any of my other old dialup email accounts.

Reactions: dalef

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Does it have a 12 gigabyte update brick your premium-price hardware?

Windows 11 might be a mixed bag, but a certain fruit company isn't firing on all cylinders either. Any more bed soilings and we'll be giving Windows a closer look.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 11 setup will prevent you from installing it on a system that doesn't have one of its limited list of supported AMD or Intel CPUs, which excludes many processors that were sold as recently as a couple of years ago (first gen Ryzen for example).
Has anyone actually tried this to confirm? Because I installed Win11 with my purportedly unsupported Intel 6th gen CPU without issue.

In the article Windows Explorer was also mentioned. Microsoft created Explorer, but has never fully understood it's potential. For over a decade I have used a Windows Explorer replacement called Directory Opus. It's not free, but it is far, far better than the file manager included in Windows. If you are like me and use a file manager for all your file needs, then you should give Directory Opus a try. Even a free open source file manager is better than Windows Explorer.
im not a fan of windows explorer since umm windows 95 lol
using total commander ^.^

Reactions: TesseractOrion
Has anyone actually tried this to confirm? Because I installed Win11 with my purportedly unsupported Intel 6th gen CPU without issue.
its no issue to get it installed on unsupported CPU, windows updates might get limtited to your PC over time

whole debacle of old CPUS (ryzen 1gen included) is that they are missing some backed hardware virtualisation security (MBEC), so you get performance penalty when windows runs that...ive had some random performance dips in games with ryzen 1st gen (cpu usage higher and fps lower)

Last edited:

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I have not tried windows 11 yet but I do take offence at your still using an @aol email address comment. I write software using C++, I build my own computers and have been doing so since the 80's and guess what ? I have a @aol email address. Because it was free. I did not want to be tied to @Comcast for example or @erols.com or any of my other old dialup email accounts.
Ok boomer.

D

Deleted member 2783327

There is absolutly nothing redeeming about Windows 11. No compelling reason to upgrade. If you think that rounded corners or better control of virtual desktops are compelling, then I worry for you. Windows 11 is designed to continue microsofts mission to dumb down its users. To offer a product that does nothing useful. IMHO, it's garbage.

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Same here, Win 11 is useless for me, i use tablacus explorer now to do multiples files operations etc ... Msoft doesn't want to understand Window users

It is a major setback, a new Vista .... it is a dumber Windows, can't wait to see Win 12 loll Being Msoft boss i would fire most of the interface developpers

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I installed Win11 for a few days, then rolled back to Win10.

Things I liked
  1. Sleek UI.
  2. Better Multi-Window + Multi-Monitor UE.

Things I hated
  1. Taskbar is not customisable, I can't add more toolbar for apps shortcuts and the pin to taskbar takes too much space per icon.
  2. Start menu is not customisable as well, While I miss the tiles, I can work with that. But I can't remove the "recommended" section, and if I disable it, it will stay there wasting half of the start menu space. There's no way to organise the pinned apps in sections (beside the slides).
  3. The stupid idea of moving the old right-click menu to a sub-menu.
  4. Each settings requires even more clicks just to reach, more than what Win10 required, which was by it self much more than what Win8, which was much more than Win7.

Basically, the changes that MS is enforcing for the Settings app, is becoming a hell for power-users. I really hope MS will start adding an option for each user account to state if he's a power user or an easy user, and change the UI according to this.

Oct 31, 2021
What a bunch of whiners.

When an editor-in-chief need to construct absolute non-issues to produce click-bait, it's sad really.
The desktop background image is not to his liking.
No weather in the taskbar, now a widget instead. Unheard of!!
Start menu takes too much space, what a ridiculous idea to make a nice looking and easy to read start menu when so much more could be crammed into a much smaller space.

And the "lame" (editor in chiefs term) producer of the operating system is so stupid it provides a built in cloud storage and backup solution for its users. Make it easy for the users to backup their content, people that think like that should not be allowed to make OS's. Lame! Even though the feature can be switched off, forever, in less than 5 secs, it's worthy of considerable complaining.

Some commenters have noted that MS should listen to their users. They have! During 30 years in one of the worlds largest industries I have noticed the that no matter what discipline (finance, HR, IT, engineering), nationality, company, people fires up their laptops with default settings, present default Powerpoint slides (usually company template), Excel charts have default colors, shortcuts are mostly a mystery (including ctrl-c/v), and sending email attachments are always preferred to distributing links. People just prefer to get their work done, and not geeking over OS settings.

The fact that MS cleans up the interface, hides some settings etc will be welcomed by 99% of its users. You and I might like to tinker, prefer all the settings in the world, but the other 99% does not. The whining resembles certain Linux forums, where half the audience always complain if a new distro doesn't 100% resemble Win XP.

And to the editor in chief, who struggles with the two mouse clicks to browse the list of applications in alphabetical order. That's how my mother does it. A computer literate hits Win-key and starts typing. Tom must be really struggling to attract talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2020
I can guarantee the changes won't be welcomed by 99% of the users.

For one, there are an awful lot of very illiterate technology users in this world, and anytime Microsoft moves a setting, or anything, in Windows those people panic because it's not where it's supposed to be and they can't find it. Remember when Microsoft introduced the first Ribbon interface in 2006 and the furor that erupted? These are the same people you see with a hundred things on their desktop.

Secondly though some of the changes are minor and require just one or two more steps, like the context menu, it's something that reduces productivity. The combining of items on the Start menu, for example, while beneficial on smaller displays, is completely performance hindering on typical desktop displays. If you're working with multiple Word or Excel documents, for instance, it's far easier to switch between them if you see them all lined up on the taskbar with a title. It may only take a couple of seconds, but again it's reduced productivity and far less efficient.

I will give you some things are nit picky and aren't really issues. The wallpaper, for one, is a non issue because I imagine only a small percentage of people use the default wallpaper in any OS no matter what it is. Changing the default browser is also a non issue since Edge switched to the Chromium base and is actually BETTER (Faster, less resource intensive) than Chrome per TH's own testing. Onedrive is also a non issue, as sitting in the background doing nothing uses less than 10MB of RAM (6.6MB currently on my system) and 0% CPU, network, and disk time, plus it integrates very easily with the Microsoft Office mobile apps making it both very easy for even novice users AND a way for people to easily separate their personal files from their business files, plus with Office 365 you get 1TB of storage.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
I can guarantee the changes won't be welcomed by 99% of the users.

For one, there are an awful lot of very illiterate technology users in this world, and anytime Microsoft moves a setting, or anything, in Windows those people panic because it's not where it's supposed to be and they can't find it. Remember when Microsoft introduced the first Ribbon interface in 2006 and the furor that erupted? These are the same people you see with a hundred things on their desktop.

Secondly though some of the changes are minor and require just one or two more steps, like the context menu, it's something that reduces productivity. The combining of items on the Start menu, for example, while beneficial on smaller displays, is completely performance hindering on typical desktop displays. If you're working with multiple Word or Excel documents, for instance, it's far easier to switch between them if you see them all lined up on the taskbar with a title. It may only take a couple of seconds, but again it's reduced productivity and far less efficient.

I will give you some things are nit picky and aren't really issues. The wallpaper, for one, is a non issue because I imagine only a small percentage of people use the default wallpaper in any OS no matter what it is. Changing the default browser is also a non issue since Edge switched to the Chromium base and is actually BETTER (Faster, less resource intensive) than Chrome per TH's own testing. Onedrive is also a non issue, as sitting in the background doing nothing uses less than 10MB of RAM (6.6MB currently on my system) and 0% CPU, network, and disk time, plus it integrates very easily with the Microsoft Office mobile apps making it both very easy for even novice users AND a way for people to easily separate their personal files from their business files, plus with Office 365 you get 1TB of storage.

The taskbar being forced to the bottom is lame. I have a widescreen monitor and since Windows 7 have put my taskbar on the left side and love it. I get more real estate for photos and even web pages. Take Toms Hardware for example, despite the year being 2021 their articles are very narrow and made for novices instead of allowing the browser to resize them therefore I do not want the taskbar on the bottom of my screen.

Nov 3, 2021
My one complaint is that I can't drag and drop files through the taskbar as was previously possible. Like if I were to drag a media file from explorer to the taskbar where VLC or audacity is open, it doesn't recognize the movement or gesture.

The only way this works is to have the two programs\apps open side by side and drag items across them. WTF Microsoft, that was such a tool I used every day.

Nov 10, 2021
When you said the thing about people with AOL email addresses, were you serious? I just recently got my AOL a few years ago because I liked the older tech and it is a remnent of old tech. AOL is in reality in my opinion one of the better options as they provide a lot of storage and are easy to navigate. I am a power user and do not like the over simplistic WIndows 11 weird UI.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this article. It shows why Windows 11 is such a failure OS. Because of all those reasons mentioned in the article I refuse to upgrade my Windows 10 to 11. I especially liked this part in the article:

"With Windows 11's UI, Microsoft is like an arrogant chef who, after cooking your dinner, instructs the waiter to remove all the salt and pepper shakers from the table because they don't want you changing the flavor of their dish."

Well said, author. This is exactly how Microsoft became lately. An authoritarian company that doesn't want to give you a freedom and wants to force you to follow their new rules, especially taking off everything you had in Windows 10. On the top of all that, Windows 11 looks uglier than Windows 10 in my opinion, especially the start that looks like someone beheaded it. You can't resize it, and you don't have enough space inside or can't even organize like you could in Windows 10. In Windows 11, Microsoft became very forceful totalitarian dictator. I really dislike their approach and generally started disliking this company. I prefer companies that give me more freedom than companies like Microsoft. I don't care how old Windows 10 might get old in the future, but I know one thing for sure - I will be skipping Windows 11 and if more people will follow me and users like me, maybe Microsoft will hear us and learn their lesson that enforcing policies for their consumers isn't cool.

As for the author of the article - Avram Piltch ... Thank you for such a good article. You basically mentioned all the flows of Windows 11 - disaster OS from Microsoft.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021
I would like to say that Tom's hardware has never let me down. It has been a valuable resource. I at least know now, what to do when I have to make the change. With that being said, I am truly disappointed with the look of windows 11. If I pull up a image of Mac OS Monetery and put the two side by side; they are almost identical. I hope MS will in the future will add a classic look option.

macos_monterey_image_apple_1634584219193.jpg

SBZKXKykzPFo4523Dzk4RH-1024-80.png.webp

This is Most dishonorable. Its could be considered plagiarism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean0919
Status
Not open for further replies.