12 Motorola Smartphones Will Taste Android KitKat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmohon

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Does this mean motorola is reducing the customization of blur? So future upgrades might be easier and faster as well?

weilin

Distinguished
There may be an error in the article, the DROID RAZR (Verizon) is listed on their site as running JB 4.1.2 along with DROID RAZR MAXX (Verizon). It, along with the Bionic, are based on TI OMAP SOCs.

It seems that any device that launched with a TI OMAP SOC is no longer being supported. This is very likely to be because TI exited the SOC market and thus no official driver is currently being developed/validated for anything beyond Android 4.1.2. I doubt Google/Motorola is going to accept the liability of taking over driver development for TI.

Note: the PHOTON Q 4G (Sprint) is listed as "Future plan coming soon" there may be hope for that phone after all

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

My guess is that Motorola abandons Blur altogether in the near future, even for Droid models if they continue to exist after the current line.

Hopefully this means Moto phones will get updates with a swiftness similar to that of Nexus models plus the usual time for "carrier approvial."

Yes and no. Nexus will almost always get the updates first. Also keep in mind that half the phones listed are over a year old (Razr HD, Maxx, M and the developer editions).

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
@weilin TI had some leaked beta drivers for their SOC not to long ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they is why its beings updated. I do know that the current drivers are not compatible with the last 2 or 3 versions of Android.(xda-developers)

That being said. It makes me happy to see that they are removing blur altogether and the speed at which updates are coming in the future is always a plus.(Even with Verizon's approval process... )

weilin

Distinguished
@jskilnyk: They're not though, According to the official website, those Droid RAZR and Bonioc are NOT getting upgraded to 4.4 (the article is wrong).

I'm speculating the reason why is because a beta driver is probably too much risk assumed by Google/Motorola to package it up and release 4.4 with it. If anything goes wrong they would be on the hook to fix the driver for TI who probably long dumped the driver development team a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.