[SOLVED] 12GB RAM Alright ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hi ,pretty simple straight stuff ,currently i7 4770k and 8GB RAM

8GB can be a little less now as we are in 2021 and games do require more so i was wondering would it be alright to insert another 4GB RAM ?

I understand timings can mismatch but im getting a used DDR3 4GB next to nothing and i would test it before anything and just wanted to know if going from 8 to 12 would make a difference or not worth it ?

And i do plan to now overclock a bit and would more RAM help ?

Thanks

Solution
i was wondering would it be alright to insert another 4GB RAM ?
Adding/mixing ram is ALWAYS a gamble, even when the rated speed and primary timings are the same - all that does is increase the odds of compatibility. It's still not guaranteed to be stable.
You become the beta tester in this scenario.
If it works, great! If it doesn't, you lose time and money.

Memtest86 Home Edition(free), custom 8 pass run - not the default 4 that it does - if it passes that with no errors, then it's as good as... good.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i was wondering would it be alright to insert another 4GB RAM ?
Adding/mixing ram is ALWAYS a gamble, even when the rated speed and primary timings are the same - all that does is increase the odds of compatibility. It's still not guaranteed to be stable.

Memtest86 Home Edition(free), custom 8 pass run - not the default 4 that it does - if it passes that with no errors, then it's as good as... good.

Solution

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

Thanks ,i did read a lot about mismatches and thanks for advising that test ,i shall run it over the course and check for stability and no errors and only then get it.
Thanks once again

Reactions: Phaaze88
If it's literally next to nothing, you won't lose as long as they'll work together.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the 4GB, remove my 8GB and see if I can boot on the 4GB. If so, yay! Halfway there. I'd add back in the 8GB and see if it boots and shows 12GB. If so, great! If not, try moving both modules to different slots until it shows all 12GB. If you can't get it to boot with 12GB, give the 4GB module back.

If you get 12GB to boot, run memtest to confirm all is good and then enjoy it!

Mar 24, 2021
If they are same brand same spec then yes go ahead it will for sure help the overall performance. But any mobo user manual will tell you do not mix ram cuz no one know what will happen.