Question 12TB Total Host Writes on Brand New 480GB Team Group SSD

TheGreatRean

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
So I bought a 500 GB TeamGroup GX2 SSD, and I just noticed after installing a few games (like 300GB total), my total write is now around 12TB. Here is the Crystal Disk Info

Crystal-Disk-Info-20210816162455.png

After 3 Hours of USE!

I tried copying a video file (1GB) into the SSD and it increased by a lot! 30GB a lot.

Here's the image of me after copying the file.

Crystal-Disk-Info-20210816163054.png

Did I just buy a faulty ssd or something? Thanks for the help.

Things I tried :

• Disabling Pagefile : No changes
  • Switching SATA Cables : No changes

So I bought a 500 GB TeamGroup GX2 SSD, and I just noticed after installing a few games (like 300GB total), my total write is now around 12TB. Here is the Crystal Disk Info

Crystal-Disk-Info-20210816162455.png

After 3 Hours of USE!

I tried copying a video file (1GB) into the SSD and it increased by a lot! 30GB a lot.

Here's the image of me after copying the file.

Crystal-Disk-Info-20210816163054.png

Did I just buy a faulty ssd or something? Thanks for the help.

Things I tried :

• Disabling Pagefile : No changes
  • Switching SATA Cables : No changes
Use the resource monitor.
Filter on disk.
Is something writing to that disk often or big chunks?

TheGreatRean

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Use the resource monitor.
Filter on disk.
Is something writing to that disk often or big chunks?

I was installing games previously from a different harddisk to the ssd but i highly doubt 300GB translates to 12 TB Writes, and besides i did actually screenshot the first time i installed this on my pc.

AE850-A73-0-F12-491-A-9-FEC-51-EA298-F5-FB9.jpg

The F1 and F2 values (host reads and writes) are clearly way too high. The other values, for example average erase count, do not match up with them. Same with power on hours and count, which line up with a new drive. It looks to be misreporting.

The Average Erase Count is 2. This suggests that the SSD was rewritten twice, meaning that there were 1TB of NAND writes.

If 12TB were written by the host in 3 hours, then the average transfer rate over the entire lifetime of the drive would be 1.1 GB/s.

https://ipv4.google.com/search?q=12+TB+per+3+hours+in+GB+per+second

That doesn't sound plausible, especially since there were 7TB of host reads during the same time.

Moreover, the write amplification would be 1:12, which is also implausible.

The actual raw value of the host writes attribute is 0x2F28 (= 12072). Perhaps each unit represents 1/16th of a GB rather than 1GB? If so, then the total host writes would be 750GB and the write amplification would be 1.33.

FYI, here is a different SSD with nonsensical host reads and writes:

View: https://i.imgur.com/i0NnpmN.png

Last edited:

TheGreatRean

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
The Average Erase Count is 2. This suggests that the SSD was rewritten twice, meaning that there were 1TB of NAND writes.

If 12TB were written by the host in 3 hours, then the average transfer rate over the entire lifetime of the drive would be 1.1 GB/s.

https://ipv4.google.com/search?q=12+TB+per+3+hours+in+GB+per+second

That doesn't sound plausible, especially since there were 7TB of host reads during the same time.

Moreover, the write amplification would be 1:12, which is also implausible.

The actual raw value of the host writes attribute is 0x2F28 (= 12072). Perhaps each unit represents 1/16th of a GB rather than 1GB? If so, then the total host writes would be 750GB and the write amplification would be 1.33.

FYI, here is a different SSD with nonsensical host reads and writes:

View: https://i.imgur.com/i0NnpmN.png

I did not understand the bottom half of your analysis, i’m sorry. But from what i can gather, there’s no way i could possibly mistakenly written 12 TB in 3 hours right?

But this raw value data? Do you mean a different software might say something different? Because i’ve tried the original ssd software from teamgroup and it says the same thing. Or is this 1/16th of a GB thing common?

There is no standard for SMART attributes, so the manufacturers can, and do, implement them in their own particular ways, even between different models from the same manufacturer.

If you look at the pictured example, CrystalDiskInfo is reporting 1128435631 GB. Clearly this is impossible. It only makes sense if the unit is something like 32KB rather than 1 GB. In your case each increment in the raw value could represent 64MB rather than 1GB. You would need to perform some precise experiments to determine this.

TheGreatRean

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
There is no standard for SMART attributes, so the manufacturers can, and do, implement them in their own particular ways, even between different models from the same manufacturer.

If you look at the pictured example, CrystalDiskInfo is reporting 1128435631 GB. Clearly this is impossible. It only makes sense if the unit is something like 32KB rather than 1 GB. In your case each increment in the raw value could represent 64MB rather than 1GB. You would need to perform some precise experiments to determine this.

So it's possible for an identical Drive (another TeamGroup GX2) to have different SMART data than mine? Because I've seen videos on youtube reviewing the same exact drive and they don't have this different raw value calculation. It looks normal enough on their runs.

It seems to be 1/32th of a GB, based on my own test. Or at least around that number. So my total host writes should have been 377 GB from 12 TB.

TRENDING THREADS