Question 12th Gen i7 12700kf OC to around 4.0ghz

Disheveled_Human

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
Can anyone help me with some specs on how to OC my cpu i7 12th gen 12700kf to around 4.0ghz-4.2ghz most people who are OC are doing dumb 5.0+ clocks that are simply unreasonable. If someone can provide me a chart I would be in debt.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Can anyone help me with some specs on how to OC my cpu i7 12th gen 12700kf to around 4.0ghz-4.2ghz most people who are OC are doing dumb 5.0+ clocks that are simply unreasonable. If someone can provide me a chart I would be in debt.
Well if you go for 4.2 your gimping your cpu the turbo speed is much faster. Just let it do what it does. No real reason to try to overclock the Ecores

Max Turbo Frequency
5.00 GHz
Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency ‡
5.00 GHz
Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency
4.90 GHz
Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency
3.80 GHz

Last edited:
Reactions: Disheveled_Human

Disheveled_Human

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
Well if you go for 4.2 your gimping your cpu the turbo speed is much faster. Just let it do what it does. No real reason to try to overclock the Ecores
Fair enough doing nothing is the best choice. The last processor I had was a i7 3820 sandy bridge so ignore my ignorance of new cpu's.

May 22, 2023

Max Turbo Frequency
5.00 GHz
Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency ‡
5.00 GHz
Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency
4.90 GHz
Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency
3.80 GHz
Don't know if this will help, but it may. I'm currently piecing together an i7-12700k on an Asus Prime Z690-p Wifi board and I don't know alot about overclocking, but I know qujite a bit about computers. The BIOS has a lot of AUTO settings and it has an extreme profile and super extreme OC profile for the CPU.. I set them all to AUTO and play with one or two settings at a time. I could never get it right changing several of them. I read about it, and it says BIOS can do a great job at prescribing the best setttings with what you have. Then the middle setting is more extreme with BIOS interacting less, and the Extreme is basically "You're on your own kid".
What I found is that I have no idea what I'm doing, so I let BIOS do the CPU clocking, and I made the manual adjustments to the RAM with the XMP profile. When I buy RAM initially, it's the same like a kit. When I buy MORE RAM I search for the exact type I already have. That gives me the best chance of not having issues, and I've never had one buying exact size, type, speed, and latency. Using XMP and manually setting the speed of mhz (like 3200) and forcing the "LEARNING" options, my Passmark score jumped 500 points immediately, and a couple hundred more as I let it learn. It was a great feeling of satisfaction and a baby step to the world of OC, so I guess I'm saying is don't get in a hurry, and continue to learn as much as you can about your system while taking small steps to experiment with it. Saving
BIOS profiles is a big help so I can remember what I did to cause the last result.
I believe you all have good ideas and beliefs, mainly because all mobos and equipment are a little different in their own way and all of you have experiences with different circumstances, just as I do. My mom bought my first PC in an auction at my junior high in 1982. It was a Radio Shack TRS-80. So I have 40 years of it, but the learning never stopped, and NOBODY (except Linus) knows it all... The best advice I could give is to read and learn EVERYTHING about your motherboard. She is the controller and the one who will decide if what you are doing is acceptable. Use good technician practices, like shutting off Power before exchanging parts, washing your hands, and avoiding static electricity. Do your best to know exactly what you're looking for or what is acceptable BEFORE you make a purchase... Being patient and thorough in your troubleshooting always pays off. Maybe it's not broke.. maybe someone tripped the GFCI outlet and the computer is fine after all.... it can happen.. Lastly, be respectful to your colleagues. Sometimes they have experienced a problem you're having, or vice versa, causing one of you to become the teacher... and that's how we all grow and get better at the craft.

Happy clockin'