Question 1333mhz ram are faster than 1600mhz

cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
I set my RAM to 1600Mhz to gain some improvements but when I played games it actually slow down and cause some FPS drops so then I clock it back to 1333MHz my pc ran fine faster than 1600MHz, how could this happen ?

my pc:
i5-3470s
Asus P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0
8gb DDR3 (4gb*2)
GTX 960 2gb Jetstream
FSP 500w

Updated all drivers including MOBO and anything else

Which slots are they installed in? Make SURE they are installed in the second and fourth slots so that they are operating in dual channel.

As far as the performance is concerned, it is not as simple as just "setting your RAM to 1600mhz" because unless you set the XMP profile then the system is going to automatically find it's own timings that it feels are safe for that speed based on it's training routine and those timings, rather than the ones that would automatically be outlined by the XMP profile if enabled, may be substantially looser than what is necessary and could absolutely have a significant impact on performance. Latency determines actual memory speed, true latency, and true latency is a result of the following formula BUT there are other factors related to secondary and tertiary timings that can have an impact as well.

Memory specifications and overclocking can be very deceiving. If you're unaware, here's the formula for "True Latency":

1 / Frequency (not DDR) x Latency = True Latency (nanoseconds).

Stock 3200 @ 14 is faster than Stock 3600 @ 16:

1 / 1.600GHz x 14 = 8.75nS
1 / 1.800GHz x 16 = 8.89nS

Stable Overclock with 3733 @ 16 is faster:

3733 @ 16 is 1 / 1.867GHz x 16 = 8.57nS

By calculating True Latency, when experimenting with memory overclocking, it becomes much easier to determine with greater consistency, where you might expect to find that elusive fuzzy-grey edge of stability.

Accept for applying excessive or prohibitive voltages above 1.35, which can potentially damage your processor's IMC, even with the best chips, any Frequency / Timing combinations that result in True Latencies below about 8.5'ish to 8.4'ish may be unstable, or unbootable.

-Computronix