$1350 First Gaming PC Build Advice

runnerbh

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hey guys this is my first time doing a PC build and I was hoping to get some feedback on the build I came up with. I have been getting a lot of different suggestions on the parts I have chosen and I really want to assure that this PC will last and run very strong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am an avid Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 player and I would like these games to run at high fps, no problems. I run into a lot of fps lag currently because my computer, well, just plain sucks, so I am hoping to be able to be lag free. Also it would be awesome if I could run the games with maxed out graphics..easily of course. Thanks guys!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iKTj

Solution
Looks great bud i I wouldn't get Asrock extreme 4 if i was you it's a nice motherboard don't get me wrong but i don't like it. The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex.But, for that's besides the point when i buy something i expect it to be done right no flaws or at least quality assurance and making funky size motherboards and cutting corners is not something i find acceptable i guess it's a matter of what you consider...
Looks great bud i I wouldn't get Asrock extreme 4 if i was you it's a nice motherboard don't get me wrong but i don't like it. The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex.But, for that's besides the point when i buy something i expect it to be done right no flaws or at least quality assurance and making funky size motherboards and cutting corners is not something i find acceptable i guess it's a matter of what you consider acceptable and what you consider quality to each their own it's not a bad motherboard and asrock does make solid motherboards just that is not one of them imho.The reason why people buy it is because it's cheap and comes with lot's of options.And the reviews seem pretty good.

Solution

siege_templar

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
That is an awesome build, when i saw the parts, i was like that cant be right.
Pc parts in Australia cost way more.
Anyways, i think that is an excellent build, that will run both maxed cause i have a GTX 580 (which is older than 7970) and that runs both maxed also.
Good luck with Laddering!

runnerbh

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I have switched the MOBO from the AsRock z77 Extreme4 to the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. What GPU should I get? ...I really am leaning towards AMD. And siege_templar...you too as well my friend!

The Asus Z77-V LK isnt a full size ATX either. That and it gives you a two SATA 6G/b ports and a 4+2 power phase configuration vs the extreme4's four SATA 6/b ports and 8+4 power phase config.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LK/#specifications

12 inch x 8.8 inch ( 30.5 cm x 22.4 cm )

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Specifications

12.0-in x 8.6-in, 30.5 cm x 21.8 cm

As you can see neither board hits the front stand offs, and both boards are thinner than your standard ATX board. Nothing against those boards though, both are nice enough but the Asus board offers half the features of the Asrock board.

Now if you don't mind having only two SATA 6/b ports...and most users will never need more than those two then look at this board down below. It has an 8+3 power phase configuration. It was just released less than two weeks ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1066148 $336.98 save: $13.00
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

computernoob29

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Nice build:

My thoughts:

1. I love my ASRock Z77. I'm a noob (first build in June 2012) and I have the Extreme 4. No problems at all.
2. I would consider the ASRock Z75 pro right now (you save $50)
3. You can't beat Microcenter's CPU & Mobo combo price. Only catch is you have to go to store to pick up.
4. You'll love your SSD

Enjoy!

runnerbh

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hows it looking now?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iN8G

I have picked the ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard bundled with:
1x Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) to save an extra $20 bucks.

And I have switched over from the 7970 with the reference cooler to the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with the Dual X fans.