Question 13700k Cooling vs. Better Motherboard ?

harrisonkotre

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Hi all! Sort of weird question here that I'm sure will have many different angles of opinion (hence why I wanted to ask!). Also, new to the site and forums. Please let me know if you believe this question would be better-fit in a different forum.

Planning on buying a 13700k once they come out (unless benchmarks and overall review don't look great), along with a new MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR5 MOBO. Was planning on doing push-pull with my current AIO for cooling as I hear the 12700k runs extremely warm, and people are guessing 13th Gen will as well. I am definitely planning on overclocking.

There is currently a GREAT deal on an amazing E-ATX MOBO, the $600 EVGA Classified Z690 going for $300. I have heard nothing but good things about the board, and am leaning more towards buying it than the MSI (better thermals, more slots, higher quality parts, better power delivery, amongst a number of other benefits). The issue is, my case will not allow for push-pull if I buy the E-ATX.

Would you lean more towards better cooling for this CPU and settle with the MSI (which I believe should be adequate), or would the push-pull have fairly negligible gains and should I go with the better motherboard??

I hope that question makes sense. Would love to hear your input!! Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's hard to tell what the 13th gen will bring us, people are expecting it fail spectacularly as it the prior generations have been. Intel's GPU foray hasn't been without parody. I doubt anyone is holding their breath on the new CPU launch.

The EVGA board is essentially what you're paying for, quality and reliability bundled into one. Considering MSI have been knowing to ruin their own products with lackluster BIOS revisions or even having the wrong BIOS version listed on the right board(A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5 incident) not to mention their other arena's of computer hardware(AIO recall).

What is the make and model of your case? You should also mention the make and model of your AIO.

Please note, if you brought in other brands of boards with the same price tag as MSI's, I'd have said...pick anyone. EVGA brought into the picture would only mean you're looking for the right(top end)hardware.

harrisonkotre

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's hard to tell what the 13th gen will bring us, people are expecting it fail spectacularly as it the prior generations have been. Intel's GPU foray hasn't been without parody. I doubt anyone is holding their breath on the new CPU launch.

The EVGA board is essentially what you're paying for, quality and reliability bundled into one. Considering MSI have been knowing to ruin their own products with lackluster BIOS revisions or even having the wrong BIOS version listed on the right board(A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5 incident) not to mention their other arena's of computer hardware(AIO recall).

What is the make and model of your case? You should also mention the make and model of your AIO.

Please note, if you brought in other brands of boards with the same price tag as MSI's, I'd have said...pick anyone. EVGA brought into the picture would only mean you're looking for the right(top end)hardware.

Thank you so much for the quick reply, @Lutfij!

I'd love to give more background! Usually I feel that people don't want to read all of the extraneous information. I am actually fully-upgrading my current build. New case is going to be the Lian Li O11d Mini, paired with my current Corsair H115i AIO.

If you would like any further information please ask! I love discussing and am happy to give more info.

Thanks again!

harrisonkotre

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Please list your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

and the things you'd like to perform an upgrade with.

Current Specs:
CPU: Intel i9 9900k
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32Gb 3600Mhz
SSD/HDD: Samsung Pro 980 1TB m.2 + Samsung Plus 970 1TB m.2
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify C
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 2k 144hz (main)
Cooling: Corsair H115i AIO + (6) Corsair LL120s

Here is my complete upgrade list as of now:
CPU: 9900k -> 12700k or 13700k, depending on rocket lake general consensus/performance after launch
Motherboard: Z390 -> MSI Z690 Edge WiFi DDR5 or EVGA Z690 Classified DDR5... Also open to waiting for Z790 +13th series if there are any benefits (not seeing much before release, but obviously this is complete speculation)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 3600 -> G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
GPU: 2070S FE -> either Strix 3080 12GB or 4080 16GB depending on how 4080 performs once released
PSU: Corsair Rm850x -> Lian Li SP850 (Have to change to SFX form factor)
Chassis: Meshify C -> Lian Li O11d Mini
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF -> Possibly Samsung G70A?? Still looking through good 4k monitors... At the end of the day would love a good 4k 144hz monitor with the 4080 & 13700k to reach those upper-fps limits. Still debating the monitor.

Hope that helps :) Thanks again!! Would love to continue this conversation about the overall upgrade on the general upgrade thread as well if you think others would like to chime-in.

harrisonkotre

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Please list your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

and the things you'd like to perform an upgrade with.

Good morning (depending on where you are in the world, lol). Just wondering if you ended up having any advice or insight as to the upgrades mentioned above, or the initial aio question :)

Thanks!

harrisonkotre

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
IMHO, I'd wait and see what the parts pending launch have in store. Just a mention here, if you're going with 13th Gen, best go with the Z790 chipset.
I've seen mixed opinions on the necessity of upgrading to Z790. I know these boards are obviously built specifically for Raptor Lake, and have some better memory capabilities, but are there another reasons to upgrade?

I know there is some worry about Raptor Lake performing on Z690, and bios updates coming out.

harrisonkotre

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I appreciate the reply. This video really just confirms my speculation above: that these boards are built to handle DDR5 a bit better, and that is it. Only other changes are miniscule header/port additions.

I guess we will see once released if there are any outstanding reasons to go with the Z790 chipset instead of the cheaper Z690.