Discussion 140mm & 120mm fans for GPU w/ Twin Turbo II & 2 x Noctua NF-A15 for NH-D14

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
UPDATE:

I have changed the config since the original post, I added the NF-P12 on the GPU cooler as well. Now it has the Noctua P14 and P12 on it that were originally on the NH-D14. Both with the new Noctual Low Noise Adapters (I think these are the 100ohm versions). Very quiet, can't hear these from outside the case.

It's rivalling the D14 in my case now for the most monstrous cooler.... :LOL: Pretty it ain't, and sense it don't make, but I'm having fun with it! Now I just need to run some tests to see how hot it gets...

BoCqpdV.jpg

PKmdCZh.jpg

I could only fit three cable ties for the 120mm fan, but it's sitting really securely, no rattling or vibrations at all.

===============================

Original post below:

I decided to change the original 140mm & 120mm fans on the Noctua NH-D14 to 2 x Noctua NF-A15 PWM. This was a breeze, thanks to excellent support from Noctua as always. They sent me the suitable fan clips for free.

I used the left over NF-P14 140mm fan on my graphics card cooler, which was not original anyway. The two 92mm fans on the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II were removed and the 140mm fan installed with four cable ties. The NF-P12 120 mm fan left over from the D-14 was used as an exhaust fan at the back of the Fractal Design Define R3.

oDeJg1k.jpg

The GPU is a trusty old Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6 GB (currently just a small OC of +150 MHz GPU, +250 MHz memory) . CPU is Core i7 4770k (currently at 4.4 GHz, 1.2 volts. Haven't spent any time on this, just bought this CPU second hand and this is a first shot OC).

YXFnTU2.jpg

Original GPU cooler setup.

7YLrAzH.jpg

Old vs new setup.

Both CPU and GPU each max out at about 65 degrees under gaming load, with case closed, and the case has quite a bit of added extra noise insulation padding. Very quiet.

Based on this experiment I would recommend the largest fan you can fit on your GPU. :LOL:

Last edited: