144hz monitors running a game @95 FPS (+/-) still has tearing?

Oct 1, 2018
Hi there! I'm new here, and i made a account just to get a definitive answer to this.

I'm planing on buy an 144hz monitor (currently, i have 60hz), since it has more smooth refresh rate, and the majority of my games runs @ 95 FPS, more or less. My concern is, will i get a lot of screen tearing?

If yes, using vsync (even if my FPS does not match the 144hz, Around 100 FPS +/-) would help?

I can't afford monitors with G-sync technology, and i know the are better for this case

Solution
With V-Sync on, tearing will not not occur.

What you may notice is that without adaptive sync, if your video system cannot display at the native refresh rate, it will typically display at effective fractions of the display rate such as n/2, n/3, etc, where n= your monitor's native display rate. So 144/2 =72, 144/3=48, etc, So if you can't display at 144, (an image frame time of 6.9ms) it will drop to an effective rate of 72 (6.9ms +6.9ms), as the previous whole frame is display held until a full frame is ready. Then if you can't keep up with 72, 48, etc as each frame is held for 6.9ms, until the next whole frame is ready to be displayed. This is only for a fraction of a second, but depending on your sensitivity to this, you may...
Screen tearing happens when the video feed from the GPU does not match the display.
If you are not noticing it with your 60Hz display, then you might not notice it on another display.
What G-sync (Nvidia) or Free-sync (AMD) technologies do is sync the display to the GPU feed to prevent tearing.

With V-Sync on, tearing will not not occur.

What you may notice is that without adaptive sync, if your video system cannot display at the native refresh rate, it will typically display at effective fractions of the display rate such as n/2, n/3, etc, where n= your monitor's native display rate. So 144/2 =72, 144/3=48, etc, So if you can't display at 144, (an image frame time of 6.9ms) it will drop to an effective rate of 72 (6.9ms +6.9ms), as the previous whole frame is display held until a full frame is ready. Then if you can't keep up with 72, 48, etc as each frame is held for 6.9ms, until the next whole frame is ready to be displayed. This is only for a fraction of a second, but depending on your sensitivity to this, you may notice this as a microstutter effect.

Without Vsync, you obviously get tearing, but less noticeable the more frames you can generate, even if you can't get to 144hz. Again, depends on your sensitivity to this.

Solution
Oct 1, 2018

The monitor is a Gamer Acer Kg251q Hd 144hz
I have a decent rig, but most of the games runs at 90 FPS. I wonder if i wil still get tearing with that Framerate at 144hz

Oct 1, 2018

"With V-Sync on, tearing will not not occur. "

even if the game it's running like.. 90FPS ?

And about my sensitivity, yes, it does affect me xD

With V-sync ON, the monitor/graphics combo basically says "I'll wait for FULL frames to be delivered". At 144hz, this is a frame time of approximately 6.9ms. If your graphics system can deliver a full frame within that time frame of 6.9ms, then that full frame gets displayed. If you can't, then the current frame continues to be displayed for the next 6.9ms until the monitor is ready to refresh again and a full frame is available, when it is looking for the next frame to be displayed. It doesn't matter if you had a frame ready in 7.1ms, you missed the 6.9ms window, so the display is not ready to refresh and needs to wait for that "display a full frame " window at the next 6.9ms mark.

Tearing occurs because without Vsync, your monitor wants to display whatever is in the framebuffer during the refresh cycle. If this is part of one frame, and the GPU is sending out part of another frame into the framebuffer while the monitor is still drawing what is in the framebuffer, that's what gets displayed.

Adaptive sync (like gsync) works because the system is able to ignore the fixed refresh cycle time of a non-adaptive sync monitor. Refresh rates with adaptive sync monitors are nominal, but dont; need to be fixed. With a fixed refresh rate monitor and v-sync, (such as 144hz), the 6.9ms display window is something you have to hit the target or under that time per frame. If you don't hit that target, then you have to wait for the next fixed refresh opportunity. With adaptive sync, it doesn't matter as long as you are within the abilities of the adaptive sync to compensate. 6.9 ms doesnt matter because if the frame times exceed the 6.9 ms time, the hardware can stop what it is doing, and initiate the refresh cycle when the frame is ready, instead of waiting the full 6.9ms time for a fixed window of opportunity.

At 90fps, think of it as hz (not the same exact thing I know, but just a way of thinking of it for timing issues). If your system can deliver average 90fps it can deliver (on AVERAGE) a FULL frame every 11.1ms. Some frames may be faster, some slower, but that's your average. At 144hz, every TWO frames will be approximately 13.88ms. VSync only draws full frames. If some full frames are ready faster than 6.9ms and ready to go, you can draw now. At an average of 11.1ms, you have to wait two full screen refreshes to be under that target 13.88ms for the next monitor refresh cycle. If a particular frame takes 15ms to render, you have missed that 13.88 ms target, and have to wait yet ANOTHER 6.9ms for the display to be ready for the full frame on fixed refresh monitors.
Displaying every TWO frame times gives you an EFFECTIVE refresh rate of 72 hz in that scenario. Displaying every THREE frame times gives you an EFFECTIVE refresh rate of 48hz (again using V-sync, since v-sync only wants to display FULL frames)