$1500 max Developer Build

astar

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Hello All! Decided to jump in and try and build my first pc. I currently don't have a personal computer so I'm starting from complete scratch. My budget is flexible and I'm looking a for a powerful, fast pc that has some perks with some longevity. I am not looking for an enthusiast/top tech pc. I've been trying to create a build list myself, but I'm getting overwhelmed with part choices and thought it would be better to listen to some people that know what they are talking about for my first build. So be gentle!

Approximate Purchase Date: will buy as soon as I have a good build, might wait until Black Friday at latest if I feel I will get a deal

Budget Range: $1000-$1500 after rebates, the closer to $1000 the better because I've already picked out 2 24" Samsung 2494SW monitors for a total of $500 (not included in the above budget).

System Usage: Web/Java Programming (multitasking with IDEs, browsers, DB management tools, etc), Photoshop, Flash, browsing the web, watching netflix/bluray disks, light gaming (casual games, I'd like the ability to play PC games but not the latest/greatest 3D FPSs)

Parts Not Required: Monitors, I need everything else.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com or tigerdirect.com.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Windows 7 OEM. Fine with Intel or AMD. Everyone seems to recommend Gigabyte MOBOs and Corsair RAM most often.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Don't think I have the need (no heavy graphics demands)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like relatively quiet pc and a configuration with longevity (few years). Full size case is fine for room to add, but not a ton of bling or lights. Would prefer 2 hard drives to keep personal files and work files separate. I'm interested in having an upgrade path to an SSD or SSD/HDD combo (I know I don't need one and there is no reason not to wait for the prices to drop).

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Am I being too vague, have I left anything out? Please let me know!