16:10 Monitors Running 16:9: Do They Exist?

Flanky

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hello, everyone. My question is, is anyone aware of any specific models of monitors that can display (preferably both) 16:9 (in 1080p) and 4:3 correctly?

I am interested in using a monitor as an LCD TV, and have been googling around about the subject for hours on end. I just bought a PS3, and want a monitor compatible with it as well as my PS2 and Wii. I recently came upon the fact that most 1920x1200 monitors don't display 16:9 without stretching/cropping (even brought up in, for example, this recent thread:http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250112-28-play-monitor).

I've heard it mentioned before (I forgot where, I've visited a lot of sites) that some specific 16:10 monitors will display these aspect ratios correctly. Do any such monitors exist? I have tried to search, but no one has mentioned any specific models, and as far as I know it's not the kind of thing mentioned in product tech specs.

If no such 1920x1200 monitor exists, I'd also be interested in a 1920x1080 monitor that does games in 4:3 okay.

Thank you all in advance for any help or responses :)

----P.S.----------------------------------

I'm also curious; what exactly does setting a monitor to 1:1 do? I've seen some people mention that doing this corrects this aspect ratio problem, but others say it doesn't do anything.

Psy

Distinguished
May 4, 2004
I'm going to get the 2709W because it's cheaper, I don't have any first hand experience on it though but from most people on the forum, they are all recommend The Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP :) I'm sure it's a good monitor and am willing to risk for the 2709W, it's probably so similar to the 2408 just bigger so I'm guessing I can't go wrong. (Hopefully... :| I'll have to test it out when I receive it after ordering the 2709W on Monday)