None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I don't know which group this should be posted on. If you can tell me that,
that would also help. On start I have a file from windows 3.1 run. It's the
clock under accessories. (a 17lb file, very simple) One day I clicked on a
link from google and a bunch of things loaded and I did a restore to get rid
of it. It seemed to be mostly resolved but now I can't run the simple clock
on my computer (upon startup) I get this error msg: (
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/16-bitwindowssubsystem.jpg )
How can I fix this?

Thanks, Paul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

This should help resolve this common problem. Basically, you will have to
expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt to the system32
folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on your hard drive. Sometimes, you
need to create new ones and overwrite the existing ones - the method is
described in the article.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<none@none.com> wrote in message news:aNrud.549986$D%.275482@attbi_s51...
>I don't know which group this should be posted on. If you can tell me that,
> that would also help. On start I have a file from windows 3.1 run. It's
> the
> clock under accessories. (a 17lb file, very simple) One day I clicked on a
> link from google and a bunch of things loaded and I did a restore to get
> rid
> of it. It seemed to be mostly resolved but now I can't run the simple
> clock
> on my computer (upon startup) I get this error msg: (
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/16-bitwindowssubsystem.jpg )
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks, Paul

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your anti virus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:aNrud.549986$D%.275482@attbi_s51,
none@none.com <none@none.com> hunted and pecked:
> I don't know which group this should be posted on. If you can tell me
> that, that would also help. On start I have a file from windows 3.1
> run. It's the clock under accessories. (a 17lb file, very simple) One
> day I clicked on a link from google and a bunch of things loaded and
> I did a restore to get rid of it. It seemed to be mostly resolved but
> now I can't run the simple clock on my computer (upon startup) I get
> this error msg: (
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/16-bitwindowssubsystem.jpg
> ) How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks, Paul

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

AUTOEXEC.NT Fix Method 1:
copy; c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt
c:\windows\system32

AUTOEXEC.NT FIX Method 2:
Go to; Start --> Run
enter; cmd.exe

{ assuming the WinXP CDROM disk is in drive "D:" }
In the Command Prompt enter...
expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ %windir%\system32\autoexec.nt

Since there are many forms of malware that can cause a problem with AUTOEXEC.NT, please
perform the following...

1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend Pattern File.

Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt287.zip

sysclean.com.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
3) Disable System Restore
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) Create a new Restore point

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

Dave

<none@none.com> wrote in message news:aNrud.549986$D%.275482@attbi_s51...
| I don't know which group this should be posted on. If you can tell me that,
| that would also help. On start I have a file from windows 3.1 run. It's the
| clock under accessories. (a 17lb file, very simple) One day I clicked on a
| link from google and a bunch of things loaded and I did a restore to get rid
| of it. It seemed to be mostly resolved but now I can't run the simple clock
| on my computer (upon startup) I get this error msg: (
| http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/16-bitwindowssubsystem.jpg )
| How can I fix this?
|
| Thanks, Paul

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:09:26 GMT "none@none.com"
used 10 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.os.windows-xp

>I don't know which group this should be posted on. If you can tell me that,
>that would also help. On start I have a file from windows 3.1 run. It's the
>clock under accessories. (a 17lb file, very simple) One day I clicked on a
>link from google and a bunch of things loaded and I did a restore to get rid
>of it. It seemed to be mostly resolved but now I can't run the simple clock
>on my computer (upon startup) I get this error msg: (
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/16-bitwindowssubsystem.jpg )
>How can I fix this?

More importantly, tell us more about ZUKHRA.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/ZUKHRA/?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Funny, Selling the Jeep... trying to. Not one call in 2 weeks from sunday
paper and truck trader.

Zukhra is my wife :O) at the moment I'm trying to remember why I put a
folder on there for her.....I think to send links to RU rather than email
pictures in emails.