Question 16 or 24 Port Switch with ability to turn off 802.3az EEE (aka Green Ethernet)?

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Hi,

Looking for suggestions on above. I thought the TL-SG116E might work, but management seems minimal and don't see any disabling EEE ability.

If there are no non-EEE unmanaged switches (other than older models) looking for ideas/suggestions as to what would be the best managed switch to cover the title criteria? Bear in mind I probably won't use any other management options.

I need c12 connections per floor- 2 floors- total 24 so can manage with 16 with some not plugged in or even go to an 8 port switch if this improves available options.

Thanks for any replies.

Ralston18

Titan
From the link:

"Green technology reduces power consumption "

Just how much power reduction is that? Any quantification/specs or supporting documentation.

E.g. Using X of Y ports saves Z amount of wattage?

Maybe just because inactive and/or unused ports have unlit LEDs?

Cynicism conceded - :)

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
From the link:

"Green technology reduces power consumption "

Just how much power reduction is that? Any quantification/specs or supporting documentation.

E.g. Using X of Y ports saves Z amount of wattage?

Maybe just because inactive and/or unused ports have unlit LEDs?

Cynicism conceded - :)
Thanks. Yes, exactly, I'm just as cynical and have anything 'Green' disabled on all my laptop/PC NICs (after various problems). And precisely why I want a switch that allows me to at least disable it, per port or globally.

Not sure on this but the power save stuff is called 802.3az. You would have to go read all the fine details which I am happy I no longer do now that I am retired.

I "think" both ends must support it for it to be used. You can disable this in your pc in most cases. I don't know what you would do if for example you plugged 2 switches together and could not disable either. I also don't know what it means by idle. PC actually send quite a bit of keep alive stuff so you would think it would never drop to low power mode.

Unfortunately a unmanaged switch is 100% hardware most do not even have firmware it is actually manufactured into the hardware chips.

But for some reason I though it would not drop to low power unless both ends agree but maybe I am wrong.

I would not be surprised if california or some other similar state requires this garbage and everyone gets stuck with it because manufactures do not want to make different models.

Reactions: Ralston18