1600 memory on 1066 board but...

burakc

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hello guys,

I have checked the past threads but I couldnt find such a question.

I have a packard bell tm85 notebook. The max capacity is 1066mhz. There are 2 memories in it(DDR3). one of them 1gb and the other is 2gb. both are working on 667mhz. You can see the details here (http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx299/gerab/tm85-5_zpscizfhdth.jpg)

I want to buy 1, 4gb, 1600mhz memory and replace with my existing 1gb memory and keep the 2gb.

I want to ask that the new 4gb memory will work on 1066 or 667mhz?

Solution
While it may not be common, some notebooks may try to run the faster speed. If this causes issues, you may have to reprogram the memory(not always easy, but I am sure if can be done).

I had an old Compaq that would try to run memory faster than the stock memory and become unstable. I used a tool called SPDtool to reflash the memory so its default was the slower speed. This was DDR2.

Again, I do not think this is a common issue, I just want to point it out.
While it may not be common, some notebooks may try to run the faster speed. If this causes issues, you may have to reprogram the memory(not always easy, but I am sure if can be done).

I had an old Compaq that would try to run memory faster than the stock memory and become unstable. I used a tool called SPDtool to reflash the memory so its default was the slower speed. This was DDR2.

Again, I do not think this is a common issue, I just want to point it out.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS