Question PC Freezing at Windows Lock Screen After Changing CPUs

May 4, 2024
Last night I was Giving my brother my old CPU, he is going from a 2600x to a 3800x. He has a ASUS ROG b450-f motherboard, and a 1070 out of a Alienware prebuilt. Before putting in the CPU I updated the bios to the most recent version on the ASUS website and made sure the PC worked fine. After putting in the CPU and booting it asked if I wanted to create a new fTPM, at first I looked into it and decided to push no. It went to through the boot screen and got to the lock screen the froze with blue and red boxes over the screen with the lock screen still in the background. I wasn't sure what to do, so I let the computer restart itself this time when booting I clicked Y to allow it to make a new fTPM. The boot basically did the same thing just with different color boxes. From here I thought it could have been the application of the CPU so I reseated it in the socket, it still showed the same behavior. Now I thought it could be the install of windows, so when it went into trouble shooting step I chose to repair windows and keep all of his files. After the process I was able to get into the OS but then once I was on his Home Screen it froze and showed the squares again. This time with some weird inverted colors. Now I was really confused on what to do, I figured it had something to do with the video drivers. So next I booted it into safe mode with Networking. I was surprised to see that I booted into windows with no problems. I installed the most recent geforce driver for the 1070. Then I went into device manager and updated the drivers through that. This however did not solve my problem, I am pretty sure it is some faulty driver considering it boots into safe mode. Does someone know how I'd figure out what driver it is? thanks for your help

Last night I was Giving my brother my old CPU, he is going from a 2600x to a 3800x. He has a ASUS ROG b450-f motherboard, and a 1070 out of a Alienware prebuilt. Before putting in the CPU I updated the bios to the most recent version on the ASUS website and made sure the PC worked fine. After putting in the CPU and booting it asked if I wanted to create a new fTPM, at first I looked into it and decided to push no. It went to through the boot screen and got to the lock screen the froze with blue and red boxes over the screen with the lock screen still in the background. I wasn't sure what to do, so I let the computer restart itself this time when booting I clicked Y to allow it to make a new fTPM. The boot basically did the same thing just with different color boxes. From here I thought it could have been the application of the CPU so I reseated it in the socket, it still showed the same behavior. Now I thought it could be the install of windows, so when it went into trouble shooting step I chose to repair windows and keep all of his files. After the process I was able to get into the OS but then once I was on his Home Screen it froze and showed the squares again. This time with some weird inverted colors. Now I was really confused on what to do, I figured it had something to do with the video drivers. So next I booted it into safe mode with Networking. I was surprised to see that I booted into windows with no problems. I installed the most recent geforce driver for the 1070. Then I went into device manager and updated the drivers through that. This however did not solve my problem, I am pretty sure it is some faulty driver considering it boots into safe mode. Does someone know how I'd figure out what driver it is? thanks for your help

first always go into bios and set all files to default values. before installing a new cpu this includes xmp as this can cause freezing.

second when removing a old cpu like 2600x ftpm and bit locker must be switched off. ( windows 10 does have a bit locker and it can be on sometimes this can lock up a pc)

what os are you running.

May 4, 2024
The bios settings where reset and bit locker was turned off on all the drives in windows. I am currently on the most up to date version of windows 10. I let it sit over the day today, was able to do basic tasks on it for a few minutes then it went back to the same behavior.

Here is what the screen looks like, I think? I’m not entirely sure how to upload a photo

that looks like a gpu memory problem or that the thermal paste on the die has dried up and causing overheating. are you able to put the card into another system and see if it does the same thing.

consider the age of the card it needs a new thermal paste application and thermal pads.

recomendation mx6 with the cleaning kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Performanc...76465&sprefix=mx6+thermal+paste,aps,84&sr=8-3

thermal pad sizes

dell 1080 cooler looks like its a identical to 1070

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeR69JTHxKM

thermal pad recomendations you will need various sizes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grizzly-Th...prefix=thermal+grizzly+pad,aps,85&sr=8-3&th=1