[SOLVED] 1650 super bottleneck with 9700k

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Okay, so I'm planning on getting some PC parts at Christmas, and am also planning on upgrading some more early-ish 2021. I don't want to fully upgrade my current build and have to then replace every part again in 2021.
currently, I'm running an i3-8100 and a 1650 super, and my question is, is it worth going for a 9700k/9900k at Christmas, then upgrading GPU to a 2080ti/30 series in 2021? will the bottleneck be THAT bad? because as mentioned, I don't want to get a mid-tier CPU, to then replace it again in 6 months. Thanks :)!

Solution
That depends on your budget.

Intel tends to not keep sockets around for very long. So if you are going with Intel I wouldn't plan on being able to do upgrades for long. They are more of a pick your chip and stick with it. Any Intel 8C/16T CPU should keep you gaming happy for a long time.
Exactly thank you mod, OP he is correct. As for your concern on the 9700k its great for gaming but if you really wanna be future proof as far as keeping that 9700k for many years I would consider getting a 8 core 16 thread CPU instead as eventually in due time games will take advantage of Hyper Threading or HT as they call it. But no you cant future proof your motherboard that is normal unless its AMD which is a whole nother story on its...

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Unless you give us the full spec how do we know if your psu is adequate or if your drives will slow the system down. Is your case large enough and good enough airflow for much larger and hotter gpu’s and CPU’s? I am asking for a reason so we can help you plan your upgrade.
Ok, my bad, I should have stated this more clearly. I have a 650w bronze psu , and when upgrading the cpu , I will be upgrading everything else except gpu as they're expensive as hell. So mainly my question is will the bottleneck be seriously bad with a better cpu with current GPU.
Again, sorry for not explaining too well.

Can you give us the make and model of the psu. Knowing the quality is very important. You could have anything from a high quality unit to fire hazard.

If you are upgrading the motherboard then why not look at 10th gen Intel or the AMD 5000 series which are due to release early November. AMD are promising Intel beating gaming performance.

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
I have the corsair
Can you give us the make and model of the psu. Knowing the quality is very important. You could have anything from a high quality unit to fire hazard.

If you are upgrading the motherboard then why not look at 10th gen Intel or the AMD 5000 series which are due to release early November. AMD are promising Intel beating gaming performance.
Vs650. And yeah may be worth looking at newer cpu but then bottleneck with the current 1650super will be even worse haha. Do you think it would be worth getting new cpu, and just dealing with the bottleneck for 3 or 4 months until I get a new GPU?

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
The only negative is you spent money on a cpu you are not fully utilising. You want the gpu at 100%, it doesn’t really matter if the cpu is at 40% or 90%. The cpu headroom will benefit you when you upgrade the gpu.
Okay, well, thank you for the help I'll definitely upgrade to a new cpu then in November. Thanks!

jasonf2

Distinguished
Compared to your I3 that 9700k is a substantial upgrade. And while it will bottleneck the 2080/3000 some it likely isn't going to be very dramatic. The core count and clock on the 9700 is more than adequate to drive about anything out there. All machines have a bottleneck. It is just a fancy term for the part that limits performance. Depending on the games you are trying to play framerate is highly dependent on how much weight the developer is putting on the CPU or the GPU. So in some games the CPU is pretty important, while in others not so much. As a general statement though assuming that you get a decent CPU (which you are) the GPU is more important for overall game performance than anything else. So until you upgrade to the 2080 ti or 3000 series your 1650 will be the bottleneck part.

Also if you are going for 2080ti/3000 series you will probably need a 750+ watt PSU.

Reactions: 486adam

USAFRet

Titan
I anticipate the GPU being locked 100% in pretty much any game and the cpu being 20-30% lol. But I am unsure as to how bad it would be on performance.
Currently:
i3-8100 and a 1650 super

Change to:
i7-9700k and a 1650 super

So what if the GPU is maxed out at the framerate the better CPU can provide?
It won't give worse performance than what you have now.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Okay, so I'm planning on getting some PC parts at Christmas, and am also planning on upgrading some more early-ish 2021. I don't want to fully upgrade my current build and have to then replace every part again in 2021.
currently, I'm running an i3-8100 and a 1650 super, and my question is, is it worth going for a 9700k/9900k at Christmas, then upgrading GPU to a 2080ti/30 series in 2021? will the bottleneck be THAT bad? because as mentioned, I don't want to get a mid-tier CPU, to then replace it again in 6 months. Thanks :)!
To add what the mod and gurus said a 9700k and a 9900k and a 10900k all give similar performance and there is zero bottleneck when you get your 2080Ti or 3000 series chip. Actually doing this upgrade now with your 1650 card you will see more frames per second with the 9700k. The gaming performance with the processors I mentioned are so close to each other. Just give or take a few frames per second. Only think is the 9700k is a 8 core 8 thread machine. However games really don't know how to use HT or SMT to its fullest yet so your ok. However if you use hardcore HT apps like Photoshop and Illustrator and Premiere then I would really consider the 9900k as it will give you 5Ghz on all cores and be a beast. Good Luck.🎗✝💯👶

It is premature to be making any decisions so long before Christmas.
You seem to have a well balanced pc right now.

If you will be buying new, you want the latest gen parts.
New parts are not introduced unless they offer higher performance and/or lower price than the previous generation.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
I would not be changing to a 9000 series processor at this time.

10th gen intel processors are stronger, cheaper and cooler.
Who knows what ryzen will bring out before Christmas.
Who knows what rocket lake will bring a few months later?

What is your gaming resolution?
What kinds of games do you play?
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

Here are a couple of tests for your current system:
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I think near black friday time you gotta be aware and cautious at the same time plus on top of that the year is ending which means the new year will bring down costs of processors graphic cards, but not the 3000 series but def the 2000 series. I don't know its a weird time to upgrade right now especially with the paper launch of nVidia 3080 and 3090. Plus who knows when the 3070 will be totally available anywhere. I think unless its a emergency you should wait for the year to come to a end then decide what your going to do after Christmas and the new year. Prices do def drop after years end. You can get good deals on little things like a SSD or a Google device or a 4k tv for like 300 bucks for a 55" and what not. Anyhow that is my two cents.👶💯✝🎗

Every Ryzen currently released struggles to match the 9700K's gaming frame rates; it is still quite impressive, and, if your mainboard supports it, I'd get one! (Naturally, your 1650 limits you to medium quality 1080P gameplay, so, your plan to get a 3060/3070 or equivalent ASAP is a good one!)

4745454b

Titan
First the mod hat. Stick to this thread for your upgrading questions. Please don't open new threads for new ideas, parts questions, etc. This thread has people in it, stay here.

is it worth going for a 9700k/9900k at Christmas, then upgrading GPU to a 2080ti/30 series in 2021? will the bottleneck be THAT bad?

Its fine to go this way. Upgrade your CPU with the understanding that your GPU is going to be maxed out. It won't damage anything. Upgrade the GPU when you can and enjoy the new frame rates. You can go the other way as well if you want. Upgrade the GPU with the understanding that it will be running at 40-50%. You'll get that 100% usage when you upgrade the CPU. You can't really go wrong either way. Upgrading in pieces requires you to accept things won't be running their best until you are done upgrading. It's ok.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
First the mod hat. Stick to this thread for your upgrading questions. Please don't open new threads for new ideas, parts questions, etc. This thread has people in it, stay here.

Its fine to go this way. Upgrade your CPU with the understanding that your GPU is going to be maxed out. It won't damage anything. Upgrade the GPU when you can and enjoy the new frame rates. You can go the other way as well if you want. Upgrade the GPU with the understanding that it will be running at 40-50%. You'll get that 100% usage when you upgrade the CPU. You can't really go wrong either way. Upgrading in pieces requires you to accept things won't be running their best until you are done upgrading. It's ok.
Thanks mod for that good reply to him. Listen to the mod my friend. Also let me add again the 9700k is a awesome gaming chip and is in the same category as the 9900k and 10900k. The only draw back of the 9700k is it doesnt have HT so you have 8 cores and 8 threads and if you use apps like Photoshop and CAD and Premiere and Illustrator you will miss out on performance as HT can give up to 25 percent performance boost. Me personally I would upgrade your mobo and ram and cpu and enjoy it for a while then buy something like the 2080 Super or the 3070 card and you can enjoy 2k gaming with AA methods and game settings maxed out and you will get your 144fps in most AAA titles and what not.

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks mod for that good reply to him. Listen to the mod my friend. Also let me add again the 9700k is a awesome gaming chip and is in the same category as the 9900k and 10900k. The only draw back of the 9700k is it doesnt have HT so you have 8 cores and 8 threads and if you use apps like Photoshop and CAD and Premiere and Illustrator you will miss out on performance as HT can give up to 25 percent performance boost. Me personally I would upgrade your mobo and ram and cpu and enjoy it for a while then buy something like the 2080 Super or the 3070 card and you can enjoy 2k gaming with AA methods and game settings maxed out and you will get your 144fps in most AAA titles and what not.
after doing some more research, my main concern now is if I do decide to go for the 9700k, I'm kinda locked out of upgrades then for future (as the socket is still 1151) so would it be "worth it" to go for 10700k over the 9700k for future proof?

4745454b

Titan

Intel tends to not keep sockets around for very long. So if you are going with Intel I wouldn't plan on being able to do upgrades for long. They are more of a pick your chip and stick with it. Any Intel 8C/16T CPU should keep you gaming happy for a long time.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

Exactly thank you mod, OP he is correct. As for your concern on the 9700k its great for gaming but if you really wanna be future proof as far as keeping that 9700k for many years I would consider getting a 8 core 16 thread CPU instead as eventually in due time games will take advantage of Hyper Threading or HT as they call it. But no you cant future proof your motherboard that is normal unless its AMD which is a whole nother story on its own. You say future means the CPU you get will last you a long time and the 9700k will but as I said eventually games will fully support HT but not anytime soon but they will. Also as I said if you use hardcore apps like Photoshop and Premiere and Illustrator and CAD and 3D then I would not get the 9700k and opt for a 9900KS 9900k or 10700k. Hope this makes sense.👍✝🎗💯

Solution
There’s no future proofing the motherboard. The 5000 series just about to launch from AMD is the last to use the AM4 socket. As for Intel who knows and even if they reuse the socket it does not mean the chipset will support the next generation, we have already seen that happen.