Question 16GB installed - but only 8GB usable RAM (Ryzen & B350 platform)

Maximilian Jancke

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
It seems a common issue but I can't seem to resolve it. I have 16GB of ddr4 ram installed, but only 7.95GB is usable.
The other 8GB is reserved for hardware.
I have already tried the MSconfig method to maximize the amount of ram. But the issue persists.

My PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.skill RipjawsV 2x8GB 2133mhz
MOB: Gigabyte AB350n Gaming wifi
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080ti

Things I have read on other sites:
  • That using a Nvidia GPU with this CPU/MOBO, may cause the system to reserve 8GB of ram.
  • That this may be a compatibility issue with the AMD Ryzen CPU.
What else can I do? Should I switch motherboards? I am a content creator and need all the ram I can get.

Last edited:
I'm sure there would be a lot more publicity if everyone using an AB350 mainboard were limited to 8 GB of usable RAM when/if using an Nvidia GPU...

As you only have two modules, are they the same?

Are both modules detected within the BIOS?

Test each stick individually in first slot (farthest from CPU)

Within task manager, what does your RAM tab show in the upper right corner of that window?

Within 'system information', what amount is shown for "Installed Physical Memory"? Available Physical Memory? Total Virtual Memory? Page File Space?

Exactly where are you seeing any reference to having 8 GB of your RAM 'reserved for hardware' shown?

Maximilian Jancke

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
I'm sure there would be a lot more publicity if everyone using an AB350 mainboard were limited to 8 GB of usable RAM when/if using an Nvidia GPU...

As you only have two modules, are they the same?

Are both modules detected within the BIOS?

Test each stick individually in first slot (farthest from CPU)

Within task manager, what does your RAM tab show in the upper right corner of that window?

Within 'system information', what amount is shown for "Installed Physical Memory"? Available Physical Memory? Total Virtual Memory? Page File Space?

Exactly where are you seeing any reference to having 8 GB of your RAM 'reserved for hardware' shown?

It seems that one of my RAM sticks is faulty. I could not boot with only one of them installed.
Can there be something else I can try to 'fix' the faulty ram stick? Software wise. Like clearing or resetting it?

Either way here are also the other data you asked when I had both of them installed.

As you only have two modules, are they the same? Yes they are the same.

Are both modules detected within the BIOS? Yes they are both detected.

Test each stick individually in first slot (farthest from CPU) One of them won't let me boot into windows.

Within task manager, what does your RAM tab show in the upper right corner of that window? 16,0 GB

Within 'system information', what amount is shown for "Installed Physical Memory"? 16,0 GB
Available Physical Memory? 3,79 GB
Total Virtual Memory? 15,5 GB
Page File Space? 7,50 GB
Total Physical Memory? 7,95 GB
Available Virtual Memory? 6,36 GB

Exactly where are you seeing any reference to having 8 GB of your RAM 'reserved for hardware' shown? In the Task manager, under the performance tab, Performance Monitoring.

Mar 5, 2019
I have/had the same Problem. I built my PC and had exact the same problem (16GB shown to be installed but only 8GB usable) for like an hour but after a reboot(i rebooted it for several times because i tried out for a broken stick or other problems that were possible) it was fixed without any doing. But now (about 3 weeks later) i have the same problem as you (and i had) again and i dont know how to fix this. I have a "faulty" ram stick too (the one i can not boot with). I can not find any solutions that helped so far. RAM is shown to be installed (16GB). Would really appreciate if someone knows better about this problem.

Shigaba

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Hey there. I know your problem exactly. If you are using a b350m motherboard you need to update your bios on the motherboard.

after updating the bios also make sure that you have Ram sticks in slots 2 and 4 this will amke sure they run in dual channel .

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-bios

Here is a link to the motherboard you described. Make sure it is the right one first !

download the the most recent bios update and update through the bios menu

after doing thing you should have no problem running your RAM

Maximilian Jancke

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Hey there. I know your problem exactly. If you are using a b350m motherboard you need to update your bios on the motherboard.

after updating the bios also make sure that you have Ram sticks in slots 2 and 4 this will amke sure they run in dual channel .

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-bios

Here is a link to the motherboard you described. Make sure it is the right one first !

download the the most recent bios update and update through the bios menu

after doing thing you should have no problem running your RAM

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Yes I have already updated my bios to the latest version. But still after doing so, I could not manage to make all of my ram appear as usable ram.

Afterwards, I tested each ram stick seperately, and it seems that one of the ram sticks has a problem, because I was not able to boot with it. I will consider sending it in for RMA exchange, but before that I will test it out on another computer and get back to you with the results.

Shigaba

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Hi! Thanks for your reply. Yes I have already updated my bios to the latest version. But still after doing so, I could not manage to make all of my ram appear as usable ram.

Afterwards, I tested each ram stick seperately, and it seems that one of the ram sticks has a problem, because I was not able to boot with it. I will consider sending it in for RMA exchange, but before that I will test it out on another computer and get back to you with the results.

Good Idea! That sounds like a perfect plan!