Question 16GB Ram installed only 8GB is usable

leoj17

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Specs:
CPU:
Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC 8GB RX 580
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3600MHZ (2x8GB)
Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max
PSU: Thermaltake RGB 600 Watt PSU
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
My Problem:
So when i put my ram sticks in 2nd and 4th dimm slots on my motherboard (i brought a 16GB ram kit and they are installed in correct dimm slots i checked my motherboards manual) and boot up my pc in task manager under performance tab it says 16GB in the top right and 8GB under it, in task manger it also says my ram is running at 2133MHZ, it will say in the information below that 8GB ram is reserved and only 8GB is usuable. When i go into the memory tab in CPU-Z it says 16GB ram and speed is 1066MHZ in dual channel.
When i go into my BIOS and try setting XMP profile 1 or 2 and reboot my pc it will turn on for a few seconds then turn off then turn back on and all ram settings i saved in bios had been reset back to the default 2133MHZ, even why i try to set the frequency to one above 2133MHZ it does the same thing and resets back to 2133MHZ (i know that it is trying to run the ram at the XMP profile but resetting back to default) it also says in my bios that there is only 8GB ram installed, when i check the dimm slots in my BIOS it detects both ram sticks are installed and that both are 8GB sticks but only shows up as 8GB total ram installed. I had Teamgroup T-Force RBG 16GB 3200MHZ ram kit but was having the same problem with them also thats why i went and brought the corsair vengeance lpx ram because i heard they run better with Ryzen cpu's.I had a MSI B350M Mortar Arctic motherboard before my current one and i was having the same problem problem with my ram not being detected and not being able to run at the actual speed the ram is advertised as. When i got my CPU there was a few pins bent on it but i had managed to straighten them back to normal as possible with a needle and get it to work.
I have two reasons on why i think my ram is not working the way it should, i was thinking that my CPU is one of the reason's why my ram is not working as it should be because i saw on some reddit posts and google that having bent CPU pins can cause ram issues. The person that had the CPU and Motherboard beofore me (Ryzen 5 2600 and MSI B350M Mortar Arctic) had no isssues with their ram and was able to get it to run at advertised speed with actual ammount installed. My second reason on why i think my Ram is not working the way it should is that my PSU could possibly not have enough power for my system and when i try to run the ram at 3333MHZ or 3600MHZ it doesnt have enough power to supply it. I currently only have 1x8GB Ram stick in my pc running at 3333MHZ, when i try to run the one stick at 3600MHZ i get the blue windows screen saying something along the lines as "we have ran into a problem". If yous want me to upload screenshots of Bios or something just reply down below and i will upload them.
(BIOS is on latest verson)

Asking for some help regarding on what i should do to try and fix this problem
Thankyou

Lutfij

Titan
First problem, Thermaltake RGB 600 Watt PSU .
Second, which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
Third, have you tried removing the CMOS battery while the system is disconnected from the wall, before replacing it after 30 mins to power up?
Forth, did you reinstall your OS after the motherboard change?

leoj17

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
7B89v2B is the current bios version for my motherboard (release date 2020-11-30), yes i did do a clean install of windows when i got my new motherboard and yes i have tried removing the removing the cmos battery but i have not left it for 30 mins more like 5 mins. Would you say that the PSU that i have is not a good one or not enough power?