News 16TB M.2 SSDs will soon grace the market — Kioxia unveils 2Tb 3D QLC NAND to build bigger SSDs

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
I hope a 16TB drive will drive down the cost of the 8TB models. The 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB drives are more or less a linear increase in price, but the jump to 8TB is exponential.

sjkpublic

Reputable
Jul 9, 2021
At best the TBW will be 600 x 16TB. Guessing it will be much less. Very fluffy article. Hope they did not pay to much to the author for the fluff.

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
I hope a 16TB drive will drive down the cost of the 8TB models. The 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB drives are more or less a linear increase in price, but the jump to 8TB is exponential.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Right now a 4tb is only $400 but 8tb is like $1200

DavidLejdar

Respectable
Sep 11, 2022
What's this MT/s when they are talking about speed?
How does it compare to the normal MB/s when we judge the speed of SSD:s?
Layman myself, but from what I understand, MT/s is a technically more accurate description of the data throughput capability. A single transfer can vary in data size, with 1 MT/s being up to 8 MB/s. So, when some software requests a lot of individual transfers, but with small data sizes (like putting a cup into a box for a TV), then the actual "total speed" may not be the maximum.

Not much of a concern for most of us end-users. Like when I try to replicate the issue of old, that the storage device lags, such as when loading up several things at once, no success (and even less so, as I have software spread out on several devices). But may have some relevance, e.g. for data centers, to know the specs precisely.

sjkpublic

Reputable
Jul 9, 2021
Would hope the author would not publish articles on products until they are available? Given the value of the yen I am sure no matter what the specs it will sell. Strange.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Layman myself, but from what I understand, MT/s is a technically more accurate description of the data throughput capability. A single transfer can vary in data size, with 1 MT/s being up to 8 MB/s. So, when some software requests a lot of individual transfers, but with small data sizes (like putting a cup into a box for a TV), then the actual "total speed" may not be the maximum.

Not much of a concern for most of us end-users. Like when I try to replicate the issue of old, that the storage device lags, such as when loading up several things at once, no success (and even less so, as I have software spread out on several devices). But may have some relevance, e.g. for data centers, to know the specs precisely.
So MT/s is more like the frequency of transfers (the number of transfer per second), almost like a CPU clock cycle?

sjkpublic

Reputable
Jul 9, 2021

It gets even better. Just because it states the transfer rate as such and such doesnt mean that is the * sustained * rate. There is the storage chip. And there is the controller. If you do not have a good controller and a good storage chip then transfer rates can vary wildly. This is where Samsung shines.