17-year-old Windows Flaw Affects All Since NT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]mitch074[/nom]cmd: a DOS-like command line able to emulate 16-bit DOS[/citation]
I think you're mistaking two things:
A) cmd which is a regular Windows command line interface (always present).
B) command which is a DOS emulation command line.

Run both on Windows XP and you'll see the difference.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]I thought vista and win 7 were totally re-wrote? Suppose they couldn't rewrite everything.. Luckily it seems to only effect 32bit =)[/citation]

I've never heard or thought that. That's what Microsoft SHOULD do but I think they have to much invested in the existing code so they just modify it over and over. They should do what Apple did and build a whole new OS using Free BSD. IMO anyway.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]They should do what Apple did and build a whole new OS using Free BSD. IMO anyway.[/citation]
If they used Free BSD, then it wasn't "whole new".
Also, dont forget that a lot of financial and manufacturing businesses still have DOS systems that have never been updated, if MS ripped up all compatability for DOS it would have a crippling effect on them. Eventually the world will move to 64 bit and DOS will be a distant memory but even though innovation in the IT world happens on a day-by-day basis, the real-world uptake can be stretched over decades. MS knows this and is pretty good at playing the long-game.

G

"Temporarily disabling the MSDOS and WOWEXEC subsystems will prevent the attack"

How I disable them?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]david714[/nom]Big deal... "Possibly install malware", just how real is this bug? MSFT will have it fixed in a week and it will all be forgotten.[/citation]
A week!? They haven't fixed it in 17 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.