Question 1866 ddr3 ram won't run in dual channel if overclocked?

Nov 19, 2020
Just bought a new same ram stick to increase my ram from 8G to 16G. My 8G has been overclocked to 1960 and running without a problem. But after adding this new stick running at the same frequency they just won't work in dual channel according to cpu-z. If I set the frequency to 1866 or lower however they do work in dual channel.
Does this mean that I can't overclock dual channel ram? why is that?

Nov 19, 2020
Can ya post a screenshot of spd and memory tab please.

Shouldn't matter no, but just want to check a couple of things.

Difference in ram speed mind you is extremely minimal. If 1866 works then id settle for that.
Hi thanks for replying. Here's the screenshots:
uDc3gcd.jpg
e5Yf0WO.jpg
VtiAbdG.jpg

What's showing here is actually running under default bois settings where nothing was touched.
I'd prefer to be able to overclock the ram and still run in dual channel because I used to change both bus speed and multiplier to overclock my fx8300. It's hard to maintain at 1866 this way. I'd be really grateful if you could help me figure this out. My board is 990fx-ud3.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you post the same screenshots again when you do overclock them?

Which slots are they in atm? Spd is sayings slots 1 & 2? Cpuz is reading dual channel so it must be correct. Usually on four dimm slot motherboards with two sticks of ram is slots 2 & 4, 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Unless i saw the wrong motherboard?

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
The only thing that pops up in my mind when i hear that oced ram wont run in dual channel is that the stick (only stick) on one channel decided to crap out on you (aka not work) but to verify a guess like that can you check how much ram your mobo is detecting?

Nov 19, 2020
Can you post the same screenshots again when you do overclock them?

Which slots are they in atm? Spd is sayings slots 1 & 2? Cpuz is reading dual channel so it must be correct. Usually on four dimm slot motherboards with two sticks of ram is slots 2 & 4, 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Unless i saw the wrong motherboard?
Yes it's correct but what cpuz reads does not match the number printed on the motherboard. what you see in the screenshot is 1&2 but it's 3&4 (of blue color) on mb. I changed it to 1&2 (of white color) on mb and then cpuz reads 3&4.
It turns out though, it's the problem with the new stick. This time when I set the frequency to 1996, it wouldn't even pass the POST. but if I remove the new stick, the old one will run smoothly. and if I use the new one alone, it wont pass POST either. This stick will only work under 1866.
I'm not sure how in the beginning when I simply added the new stick and ran with the old bios settings it worked, only with cpuz showing single channel. I believe it was how it happened because I rebooted a couple of times in trying to figure out why.
Anyways I am returning the stick to seller already. and orderd another from a more reliable selller. I will come back and let you know what's with the new one, hopefully nothing weird will happen again. Thanks for your time and help.

Nov 19, 2020
Reactions: RememberThe5th
On my Ga-990-Fxa-ud3 r4 and the 1st revision of that mobo and Amd's to this day for Dual Channel mode 2x sticks to be in the 2nd and 4th slots working right from the cpu.
By your screenshots they are not in the correct slots.
Please move to the correct slots and repost new cpu-z screenshots.

Last edited: