1976 Apple I to Sell For Over $200,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
only $200,000 ??? they gotta try harder 30+ years from now when they gonna sell their current Macs in the spirit of Applism

spectre195

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
How did they sell any computers, that look like expensive hill billy typewriters? It's amazing they got of the garage with a product like that.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The opening sentence of the article states that you can bid on a wood encased computer. It then becomes clear that the wood case is not included as part of the item, nor is the keyboard, and who knows what else. That is why it is only going for 200K instead of a lot more.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I have this awesome vision that if I were rolling in the millions I'd just want to buy this...call a press event...and steamroll this machine.. literally....just run a steamroller right over it...back up and doing it again and again...and I'd find the lowest paid guy janitor at Apple to drive it...and pay him 3x his salary to do so... Why? Because I hate Apple that much. That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]spectre195[/nom]How did they sell any computers, that look like expensive hill billy typewriters? It's amazing they got of the garage with a product like that.[/citation]
Very insightful comment.
Great job numbnut...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The opening sentence of the article states that you can bid on a wood encased computer. It then becomes clear that the wood case is not included as part of the item, nor is the keyboard, and who knows what else. That is why it is only going for 200K instead of a lot more.[/citation]

Good catch there; will be interesting to see what it REALLY fetches (you know what they say about rich people having more money than sense). The reality, is that this MOBO is useless, the caps are probably dried up and even though you may pay $200K for it, an Indian/Chinese recycler will give you a couple of pennies for it.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Some old vintage Apple computers are worth a lot of money as well as we see here.I'm a PC guy but I have saved some oldies from thrift stores.
I actually found 2 original 1984 Macintosh machines with serial # of 2336 and 5132 on the logic boards.These were the first of 6,000 sold in the dealerships beginning in Jan 1984.I did however have to repair them to get them operational (bad caps on the analog board and the grease on the 400k drives was hardened).
Eventually I obtained some accessories for them too (external drives,printer,modem and also got hundreds of software titles so they wouldn't be useless.I even have the Macintosh Guided Tour cassette tape and disk.
Would still like to get an Apple LISA though (these are worth a lot of money if you ever find one (especially in a thrift store)).
So be on the look out.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I'm gonna laugh if someone who has only Windows computers in their homes purchases this, and gives the reason, "Because it was actually good back then".[/citation]
I think that a lot of people appreciate what Wozniak and Jobs did back then making early microcomputers popular and fairly widespread with the Apple II in 1977 and later models.The explosion of sales of the popularity of early microcomputers got the interest of IBM who came out later with their own the IBM PC.One can both hate and love Apple at the same time.Back then it was the Woz who was the true creative genius and Jobs was the opportunist.
Without Wozniak,Jobs might have ended up as a street bum or just a salesman.
Without Jobs,Wonziak would just have a career as an engineer.
Together they made history whether we appreciate it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.