Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm building a HTPC and I got a 19v 200w picoPSU to power it up. However, I will use an Asrock ab350 ac/itx board and I've just found out on it's specification list that it has:

- 1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector
- 1 x 8 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector)

Does that mean it it runs only on 12V and that I will be stressing it it 19v? Or will I be fine? Naab question probably but ye, better safe than sorry.

(Check the PSU I got here )

Cheers!

Solution
It needs a 19v(16-24v) DC power brick like laptops use as input voltage, output voltage is 12v/-12v/+5v/+5vVSB/3.3v DC. It's honestly nothing more than a glorified 200w power splitter with correct power connectors for ATX pc systems, like Sata, molex, floppy, 4pin eps and 24pin mains. It's not direct plug-in, there's connectors (you can easily see the eps and 24pin white headers) and includes the necessary jumper connections.
Dec 30, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

However I can’t seem to find a clear answer online. The seller says is compatible and a similar item on amazon has this in its description:
“Complete Power solution for your PC/ATX/Mini-ATX project, silent and economical.Full application documentation available Eliminates the need for a 24-pin ATX power cable through direct plug-in design. Perfect for those low-profile systems. PicoPSU ATX DC-DC converter is very small. The picoPSU is fully ATX-compliant. It can power VIA Mini-ITX boards, Intel P3, P4, Pentium-M, Core 2 Duo and low power AMD processors, also power most full-sized ATX form-factor motherboards.”

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It needs a 19v(16-24v) DC power brick like laptops use as input voltage, output voltage is 12v/-12v/+5v/+5vVSB/3.3v DC. It's honestly nothing more than a glorified 200w power splitter with correct power connectors for ATX pc systems, like Sata, molex, floppy, 4pin eps and 24pin mains. It's not direct plug-in, there's connectors (you can easily see the eps and 24pin white headers) and includes the necessary jumper connections.

Solution
Dec 30, 2018

http://

So, are you saying it’s totally compatible with these regular boards and I won’t fry anything? I bought the 19v psu precisely because I already had a spare 19v power brick form an HP laptop.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. You plug the 24pin and eps from pico to mobo. That harness has a couple of additional legs, floppy and molex. Then hook up the power brick. I'd suggest hard mount the pico to a metal source that'll act as a heatsink and ground. You'll also need to make sure the connector where the brick plugs in is also planted in metal and supplies a ground point.

Dec 30, 2018
I’m forced to reopen this as some doubts persist.

I’ve contacted other sellers selling the same item and they all confirmed me that this item is not suitable for a regular 12v itx motherboard. This is creating a lot of confusion in my head.

Could someone please give me a definite and absolute answer? Will it work? If so, why is it 19v instead of 12v if it only outputs 12v?

I’m wouldn’t rely either on te technical info this Chinese auctions have, as they may not be reliable either.

Many thanks

From what I understand is
You need a PSU for a Laptop which has 19v output.
That connects to this device, that then turns it into ATX.

I am not guaranteeing this is the answer, but that is what it looks like to me.

So if you have a standard 125w PSU for a laptop @ 19.5volts - you can use this to turn it into a 125w ATX PSU.

There us a DC cable that then connects to the board, which is what powers it all.

Dec 30, 2018
Ye, I got that power brick, an HP 150w 19V, and I understand this psu has a 19v input. However, in the auction pictures (as you can see in the link I posted in the first post), its stated that it has an output of +3.3, +19, +5, +5SVB, but then in the description theres an output voltage table that ranges from -12v to +12v.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Input to psu needs to be 19v. Output becomes standard ATX values of 12v ,3.3v etc. During that change, some of that 19v is lost to heat, some to coil resistance, some to changes in amperage, some is split to use on joined rails like 3.3v and 5v etc.

It's not a well written description, looks more like it was translated from someone who doesn't speak English well and got syntax all messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.