Question 1st Build for doing 1440p 144hz on ultra AAA games. Not sure if I should go DDR4 or DDR5.

Aug 8, 2022
Hello. First time posting on this great community.
To make as short as possible, I read a lot but still can't seem to get what build I would need to play 1440p 144hz on AAA games, RDR2, Resident evil series, BF series, CoD, etc and titles of the sort with ultra graphics and ray tracing.
I would also use it to record and mix audio for which I bought a MOTU interface that I am currently using with my working laptop.

For obvious reason about RT I would be using a 3080ti. This is the setup I had in mind but I was going to go the ddr5 route as well. Bear in mind where I live there is not as big an offer as let's say in the US so these are the parts more suitable from my known supplier.

My budget is $2000-$2300.

Common components

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (ALREADY OWNED)

DDR5 route:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5 Socket LGA 1700
Memory: Memoria Ddr5 32 Gb 5200 Mhz Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) C40

DDR4 route:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory X 2

Observations:

I will be buying the system this week.
CASE: I already have the case as I got it on sale and it was the one I wanted.
MB and MEMORY: The options for picking was limited. For example the motherboards are the only ones for ddr4 and ddr5 respectively that I can get on the supplier I buy from.
GPU: The 3080ti is $300 under MSRP .
PSU: The price between PSU is negligible here between 850w 1000w or 1200w corsair series.
STORAGE: I was going to go with WD BLUE SN570. (There is no official samsung vendors or I would be getting a 980 PRO just for the sake of it)
COOLER: Just to be sure I went with the compatible version. I still have the stupid doubt about the black version vs the normal one and if the black somehow makes the pipes less efficient, but this could be a dumb question.
CPU: Since the 13th gen is coming soon and the 13700k apparently will be even better than the 12900k, I see no point in going for the i9. I can save and maybe down the road get an upgrade or make a 2nd computer for the office with half this build.

My 2 mains concerns are

1. Being able to get 1440p 144hz, or if not what else would I need to change
  2. Which DDR route should I take for gaming performance or if it is even worth it between this options. I can't get another latency or other MB models. These are the ones to stick with for me.

Thank you in advance.

DDR5 at decent speeds/latencies (DDr5-6200) has made up to a 15% difference in gaming frame rates at 1080P in some titles...

This decision would have to be evaluated within which GPU it will be paired with, and, more specifically, likely with which titles; naturally, 1440P will be somewhat less affected than 1080P....

To make as short as possible, I read a lot but still can't seem to get what build I would need to play 1440p 144hz on AAA games, RDR2, Resident evil series, BF series, CoD, etc and titles of the sort with ultra graphics and ray tracing.
I would also use it to record and mix audio for which I bought a MOTU interface that I am currently using with my working laptop.

For obvious reason about RT I would be using a 3080ti. This is the setup I had in mind but I was going to go the ddr5 route as well. Bear in mind where I live there is not as big an offer as let's say in the US so these are the parts more suitable from my known supplier.

Common components

Power Supply: Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.

DDR5 route:

DDR4 route:

Observations:

MB and MEMORY: The options for picking was limited. For example the motherboards are the only ones for ddr4 and ddr5 respectively that I can get on the supplier I buy from.
PSU: The price between PSU is negligible here between 850w 1000w or 1200w corsair series.
STORAGE: I was going to go with WD BLUE SN570. (There is no official samsung vendors or I would be getting a 980 PRO just for the sake of it)
COOLER: Just to be sure I went with the compatible version. I still have the stupid doubt about the black version vs the normal one and if the black somehow makes the pipes less efficient, but this could be a dumb question.
CPU: Since the 13th gen is coming soon and the 13700k apparently will be even better than the 12900k, I see no point in going for the i9. I can save and maybe down the road get an upgrade or make a 2nd computer for the office with half this build.

My 2 mains concerns are

2. Which DDR route should I take for gaming performance or if it is even worth it between this options. I can't get another latency or other MB models. These are the ones to stick with for me.
Thank you in advance.
What country are you located?

logainofhades

Titan
I would like to add that it has been leaked that AM5 is coming out next month. If you do not have to buy now, I personally wouldn't. Unless that 3080ti is priced the same, get a 3080 12gb instead. The price difference is normally way too much for like 3-5 fps on average difference. If you do decided to buy now, go with DDR4. Make sure you buy an actual kit, and not individual sticks.

Reactions: PEnns
Aug 8, 2022
DDR5 at decent speeds/latencies (DDr5-6200) has made up to a 15% difference in gaming frame rates at 1080P in some titles...

This decision would have to be evaluated within which GPU it will be paired with, and, more specifically, likely with which titles; naturally, 1440P will be somewhat less affected than 1080P....
The gpu is 3080ti, I double checked and it was included in the part lists XD. Made me think I had forgotten. As I said, its 300 under the MSRP so it is a good deal I believe considering the 3080 10GB is not a lot less here.

Aug 8, 2022
I would like to add that it has been leaked that AM5 is coming out next month. If you do not have to buy now, I personally wouldn't. Unless that 3080ti is priced the same, get a 3080 12gb instead. The price difference is normally way too much for like 3-5 fps on average difference. If you do decided to buy now, go with DDR4. Make sure you buy an actual kit, and not individual sticks.
Hello and thanks.
I do need to buy now since I don't know what will happen here and we sort of have a history of imports being suddenly delayed or closed altogether. The 3080ti and the 3080 12gb/10gb are almost same price. Maybe $40 difference in MSI vs MSI models.
While I don't have anything against amd and I think they made awesome products, I don't think those new ones will be arriving any time soon here.

Common components

DDR5 route:

DDR4 route:

Observations:

My 2 mains concerns are

Thank you in advance.
DDR4 has the edge in gaming due to latency and DDR5 has the edge in productivity due to bandwidth. With that said I would be looking at the i7 12700F due to the fact it uses less power, creates less heat, is less expensive yet it runs neck and neck with the 12700K / KF.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/2391-intel-core-i7-12700/

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
DDR4 has the edge im gaming due to latency and DDR5 has the edge in productivity due to bandwidth. With that said I would be looking at the i7 12700F due to the fact it uses less power, creates less heat, is less expensive yet it runs neck and neck with the 12700K / KF.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/2391-intel-core-i7-12700/

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

I don't plan on overclocking though it is my understanding that a K processor would run better at stock against a locked one.
That being said, the difference in price here is 20 bucks so not really worth going for the other 2, as I saw it. That was why I picked it. Some prices are weird here, I know. But due to our current economy "situation" imports don't have a straightforward pricing schedule so some components are opportunities and other just ripoffs.

Reactions: Why_Me
Aug 8, 2022
The reason I buy from this official importer is the warranties and the post service.
Many places here offers poor service and some consumer shops even will sell "barely" used components or opened packaged components that other tested and it is not easy to find a reputable vendor as would be in the US.
Also, in that site you gently posted "ubuy" it does not include the 50% tax that we get charged for imports. And there is on top of that the shipping which adds there 10% to 15% from the products I checked from your links.
Like I said in my original post, these are the options I need to stick with.
I just want to know if I can get 144hz on 1440p ultra with these builds, and if so which would be more efficient in doing so =D. thank you.

Reactions: Why_Me