1st Time builder

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vigoram

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys, so this is my 1st time building a machine and I've reviewed these parts but I'm still having trouble finding a few good parts.

I'll be buying most of these parts from newegg.com (No tax!)

Purchase date: Sometime in October however I'm thinking about waiting til Black Friday.

I'll be using this machine for gaming and some internet browsing, homework, and something else that I forgot about.

I live in the US, in NY.

I won't be overclocking the day I get the parts however I will be overclocking in the future when I think it's time to do so.

I will be using SLI with a 2nd graphics card but, only when I think it's needed.

These are the parts I have in mind:

Case- Antec nine hundred - $100

Motherboard – ASrock x79 Extreme4 - $225

CPU – Intel I7 3820 - $300

CPU Cooling – Cooler Master 212 EVO - $30

RAM – G. Skill Ripjaws 8gb - $45

GPU – Nvidia GTX680 - $500

HDD – Raptor HDD SATA - $38 - Ebay or some other place to get a cheap HDD.

DVD – ASUS 24x DVD-rw - $20

PSU – Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 - $110

Thermal Paste – Arctic Silver 5 - $10

I still have to shop around for a keyboard and mouse lol

The main concerns I have is :

1. Is my case big enough to hold my GPU.

Any advice and/or recommendations are appreciated. :)

I have not seen a reason to spend a lot on a HDD as I don't think I'll be using a lot of disk space.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
You should be able to overclock to 4.5 easily with the hyper 212 evo. If you want to go a bit bigger, you could go with the Noctua DH-14. It is another great cooler, and will give you an extra few degrees off.

Other than this, you would need to invest in a custom water loop, which will cost about $200-$400, and I really feel you do not need anything like this. Even extreme over clockers (5.0+ghz) use 4.5 ghz for 24/7 usage.

respect101

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
your system looks very good i was going with the 3820 but for some reason the 3770k is slightly better i dont know why but your system shoudnt give you any problems good luck with it

Vigoram

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
If that's the case then it might be a good idea to get a different motherboard that supports both 1150 and 1155 just in case. That also means getting a different CPU for now.Then again, would the 2011 socket be phased out quickly? If not then my current build would suffice for awhile.

Vigoram

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks for the response. I'm going with the Corsair Enthusiast TX750 for the PSU for when I decide to add another GPU.

Now is it a good idea to wait for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday to see if there will be any deals on the parts listed?