Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Quick Laptop Specs:
Asus TUF FX504GM_FX80GM | 8GB DDR4

Hello! I'm starting my graphic design job in a few weeks and it'll demand a lot of constant photo and video editing. Ergo I'd like to upgrade my laptop's RAM from 8GB to 16GB pronto to prevent any possible lag and stresses in the future. I'm unsure however if there are any advantages of spending a tad more to run dual channel or saving money and buying a single 16GB stick. Does the former apply to laptop motherboards/systems? I'm kind of leaning towards the latter at the moment because I don't think I'd have the money for a dual kit, but I can always hold off the purchase and save for a bit longer if it's really worth it.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Sagar_20

Distinguished
2x 8 GB will give you dual channel advantage which in theory improves performance by up to 10%, that difference doesn't really matter but unless you plan to upgrade to 32 GB in future, which is the maximum, this is what i would recommend. No need to buy a dual channel kit.

Otherwise, make it 8 + 16 = 24

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaayron

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
2x 8 GB will give you dual channel advantage which in theory improves performance by up to 10%, that difference doesn't really matter but unless you plan to upgrade to 32 GB in future, which is the maximum, this is what i would recommend. No need to buy a dual channel kit.

Otherwise, make it 8 + 16 = 24
Thanks for this man. I may just as well push through with the single stick option then.

The 24GB option has always lingered with me though, but I'm scared that mismatching RAM sticks would cause problems to my laptop in the long run. Isn't that a thing to always make sure you buy dual channel kits to 100% ensure that they work properly?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
No, it wouldn't cause any problem.

Matching RAM is only to ensure compatibility and get dual channel benefit, but make sure what you buy has the exact same frequency and timings.

For simplicity, you can download CPU-Z and from SPD tab, check the part no and get that exact same RAM, whatever capacity you need.

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
No, it wouldn't cause any problem.

Matching RAM is only to ensure compatibility and get dual channel benefit, but make sure what you buy has the exact same frequency and timings.

For simplicity, you can download CPU-Z and from SPD tab, check the part no and get that exact same RAM, whatever capacity you need.
So the results are here for my stick. View: https://imgur.com/5LfepYh

Apparently it's a Hyundai one; DDR4 2666MHz, but I'm confused as to where to look for the timings.

I'm looking at this model 16gb stick in particular. Would this work fine paired with my current one? View: https://imgur.com/Nvx1bKS

Sagar_20

Distinguished
The timing table says it all.

i.e. 20-19-19-43 at 2666 MHz

Actual speed in 1333 MHz but as the name suggests double data ram work at double speeds.

Not exactly the same as the one you linked, but should run without any problems.

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
The timing table says it all.

i.e. 20-19-19-43 at 2666 MHz

Actual speed in 1333 MHz but as the name suggests double data ram work at double speeds.

Not exactly the same as the one you linked, but should run without any problems.

Thanks for all your help man. That's good enough to me; I might as well pull the trigger right now.

I don't know how to select your post as best answer though I don't see the option anywhere...