2 builds; which would be appropriate?

beehjae

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Greetings TH members!

I have several concerns for these 2 builds. Please do help me out :D Please note that the info I have here, I did copy and pasted them from online stores, so I hope you don't mind.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 Ghz, L2 6MB, 1333Mhz LGA775 Socket
or
Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz, 1066MHz FSB BX80562Q6600 L2 8MB

and the following components:
ASUS P5Q Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) KHX8500D2T1K2/4G
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
SPARKLE SX98GP1024D3-NM GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB 256-bit GDDR3

1. which would you prefer between the 2 processors? (i do plan to overclock) E8500 still cheaper than Q6600 in my country.
2. are the components appropriate relative to each other? am I able to pick up components appropriately? i mean, say:
a. are the components: memory/video/hard disk/processor too slow/fast with respect of putting them altogether to my selected mobo?
b. will I be able to fully utilize my video card? i'm not sure if that GDDR3 label will make a bearing on a DDR2 supported motherboard... i'm not actually sure if they're related.
c. if I go for E8500 (fsb: 1333), will my memory be a bottle neck knowing it's fsb is: 1066? (i hope i'm making sense)
3. i'm relatively budget constrained, recommendations of other components that may be cheaper but would have more or less the same performance are also welcome.
4. i don't plan to crossfire yet, but maybe i will in the future. is there a mobo which is just the same as my current model, but with no crossfire support?
5. how do you categorize this build? average? below average? above?
6. what power supply would you recommend for this setup? (i'm also considering to add a cooling system if i push through with overclocking)

notes:
* i do play games, but nothing in particular now
* i do programming

thank you and good day.

I'd prefer the E8500 for games. The Q6600 will do better in FSX, GTA4, Visual Studio.Net.

Get a P5Q Pro or P5Q-E if you want Crossfire. That is, a board with two PCI-E slots. The Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P or GA-EP45-DS3R are also good at that.

You can't do Crossfire with a 9800GTX+. Also, it's an obsolete card and overpriced, at least in USA, Canada, UK and Germany.
There's a new version called GTS 250 that beats it. Of course, that won't do Crossfire either because it's made by nVidia. What you should get for Crossfire these days is a HD 4870, or even HD 4890 if you can afford it.

GDDR3 or GDDR5 cards will work fine on motherboards that use DDR2. They're not related.

A WD 640GB Caviar Black disk would be better IMO.

The RAM is fine for overclocking.

Power supply for a single 9800GTX: something around 500W or 550W made by PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Silverstone. For HD 4870 Crossfire: Corsair 650W or even better 750W.

You should get a cooler for the CPU if you overclock it.

beehjae

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

i did look at newegg, but i'm looking at local store pricelists as well. i'm starting to hate them you know... lol
i just wish i'm in the U.S.! i wouldn't have component availability problems then. :fou:

my many many thanks! i'd check these recommendations thoroughly :D. you're right, i forgot crossfire should be ATI cards! stupid me :pt1cable:

i've got more questions... it's bugging me.
* i'm aware that e8500's cache is 6mb with 2 cores sharing that, while q6600's cache is 8mb with 4 cores; would q6600 get a problem with only 8mb? knowing that 4 cores will be competing for that mere 8mb size? i'm not sure if my premise is valid, but if i do some math (i may be wrong, it may not be working this way.. lol): 2 cores with 6mb -> 1 core = 3mb; while the other: 4 cores with 8mb -> 1 core = 2mb ... therefore q6600 will/might "choke" with just an 8mb cache? it looks big on first glance isn't it? but 4 cores make that room (8mb) small.
* if say: E8500 and Q6600 ain't available, what would be the next "step down" processor with respect to value for money?

more recommendations are welcome people ;)

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
The Q6600 is an old CPU, if you want a Quad I would go with a Q9400, they usually aren't much more expensive and run cooler and are more efficient.

You didn't say what country you are from...buying from online stores generally eliminates availability problems.

beehjae

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

i'm in the philippines. online stores here selectively offer what they perceive as "hotcakes."
the cheapest online store i know is www.PCX.com.ph; i'm sure it won't be new to you since i've read passed threads mentioning the pricelist at this website. :)

sadly, pcx doesn't offer Q6600, but i found that www.tipidPC.com.ph had some individuals qoute it at around 188$ while Q9400 at PCX is 246$. of course i'd be hesitant to buy "second-hand" stuff so that is where the availability problem gets in :sweat:

i did ask other stores here (villman, pcbodega, etc.)... damn... same answers. so i'm hating them already, limited selections. :cry:

ericvas

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

Hi..Im also from the philippines most prices here are the same as abroad regular price ..The only thing we don't get here are the constant sales and discounts of retail/e-retail stores abroad..

Try going to Gilmore area ( Front of St Pauls QC) you'll have plenty of selections there or if you want to check prices first go to tipidpc.com and find the users PCHub, pc_reform (its not an individual but rather a store )

oh BTW bought all my parts abroad thanks to my bro, newegg and microcenter.. no Philippine store can beat their sale and promos..hahaha...

zealotz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Hi..Im also from the philippines please read my thread: System Builder Marathon: $600 to $800 for internet gaming café ( Any help would be much appreciated )

located: Forum > Homebuilt Systems > New System Build > System Builder Marathon: $600 to $800 for internet gaming café

I'd go q6600 it's pretty easy to get to 3.0 overclocked on the motherboard you picked. While some would argue the e8500 will get closer to 4.0 ghz overclocked, I would prefer a 3.0 ghz quad core vs. a 4.0 ghz dual core for all around use.

You components go well together. Nothing should be under powered by any of the other components in the system. You should get a 500 to 650 watt power supply from a good company for your system. usually the ones that have a SINGLE 12v rail. (corsair, seasonic, PC power and cooling) I have a very similiar setup and I use the corsair 650tx