2 Computers SAME Setup 2 Different Connections

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
Hi There!

Me and my partner are both gamers and have our PCS in the same room (second bedroom) and our router we connect to is in the master bedroom (literally like next door).

I have noticed when he does a speedtest he gets close to 30 meg download but when I do a speedtest I get 10 meg download.

I have had the PC around 5 months and my speeds before were at least 20meg...so this has only just now started happening.

We both use powerline extenders (TP Link) he has an older version and I have the AV 500. I assumed it could be my powerline extender was going faulty so I connected my PC using HIS powerline extender and got the same results - 10 meg down.

I then got my laptop and plugged in MY powerline extender, waited and got 17 meg download... improvement but still not 30!

My PC is pretty much brand new from CCL computers, cost me over £1000 my question is could my motherboard Ethernet port be faulty causing me to get lower speeds than normal?

I assume the 17 meg when I plugged the laptop in using my set up and not 30 meg using his set up was down to maybe my powerline extender being plugged in to the poorer power socket or something maybe it isn't on the same circuit as his which is weaker? IDK.

My mobo is the ASUS B85-PRO GAMER Intel Socket 1150 Motherboard and my network adapter is called Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

This is proper bugging me now and I'm hoping someone has the answer :( Do I need to return my PC back to CCL?? Or could it just be that my mobo isn't as good as his so my port is slower? I have definitely ruled out the fact he uses a different powerline extender than me cause I even plugged mine into his PC and it still got 30meg down....

One thing that does annoy me though is I paid to have a wireless card in the PC just incase something like this happened and they put in the ASUS PCE -N15 11n Wireless Card. It doesn't even pick up my internet at all like it literally says "no networks found" however my phone picks up the WIFI and so does my Laptop AND our Macbook so I assume that card is just shite....I have even tried updating the drivers and everything just doesn't find a network....
Any help appreciated!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Powerline are interesting, as if you're not using identical adapters, one usually if favoured over the other in the network.

That being said though, you've tried his adapter too with no change, yet a laptop sees improved speeds.

It could be your ethernet port being faulty, but I'd be more inclined to look to your drivers.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85PRO_GAMER/HelpDesk_Download/

Download the latest LAN drivers (and ensure all other drivers are up to date).

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Hi there thanks for the quick response. Interesting you say that, I do feel like his speeds are favored over mine but if it was 20meg 30meg instead of 10meg 30meg I wouldn't mind! Haha. I will download that link now and revert - thank you

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Hi Mate

I downloaded the LAN drivers went to ASUSSetup which says it is installing Intel(R) Network Connections and I get an error that says "Cannot install drivers No Intel (R) Adapters are present in this computer.

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Sorry I don't understand? My router is in my bedroom cause that is where my telephone line is? I can't move it from that room cause that is the only phone socket in the house.

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Nope, still the same. In fact it is now 6 meg download when I pay for fibre broadband this is great.....

I agree with theyeti87
Is there any way you can plug your computer directly into the router to temporarily test your speeds?
If you get improved speeds, you know it's not your computer (software or hardware).
If you don't get improved speeds then you know something's going on with your computer.
What happens if you plug your power line adapter into a different port on the router?