2 dumb install questions

rosedalej

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
I have 2 very basic questions on upgrading my CPU setup. I have an ECS board with a VIA P4X333 chipset that has a P4 2.0 400FSB running now. The board supports 533FSB, so I picked up a P4 2.53 for an upgrade a while back. Here are my questions.

The new CPU is boxed, retail. Do I need to apply heat sink grease between the fan and CPU, or is the black material on the bottom of the heatsink sufficient to transfer heat? If that greasy stuff is required, does it need time to dry before trying to power on the new setup?

Secondly, do I need to clear the CMOS before making the change? The board has jumpers that need to be changed and I know how to do that, but I'm wondering if the board will POST with the new CPU if I don't clear the CMOS first.

Thanks for all help and advice.

--Jeff

G

Nothing to do with reatil box, a little thermal pad is already "glued" to the heatsink, just need to clamp it to the socket!

No need to clear cmos either, it should be fine. If for some reason it doesnt post, then you can clear it, either way it will not harm your system...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Shouldnt have to do any facny. Just plug and pray...

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Take the CPU back, and get your money back. Why? The 2.0 might go 533FSB too. I'd try it. It's called overclocking. 533FSB would get you 2.66GHz. Go to the overclocking forum and start asking questions!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>