2 Gaming PC's safe on one outlett?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
This question has been asked so many times but I have yet to see a definitive answer.. anywhere.

By safe I don't mean is it going to blow a fuse, I know it won't, I will be pulling 2/3 of the potential watts. What I am wondering is will "Computer A" being booted up or it's GPU ramping up power, cause "Computer B" an under-voltage event? Even mildly?

I know very little about electricity, but in my mind I am imagining it like this:
If you have a river, and you put a water wheel on one shore, then another directly across stream on the opposite shore, it will not affect the input current on either water wheel, the water will be flowing into the water wheels at the same rate and neither will be affected by the other.

I imagine this is not exactly how electricity works in a wire but perhaps somewhat.

So can anyone explain in some detail whether or not either computer will cause a "dip" in supply to the other during moments of high consumption? Keeping in mind there is plenty of head room on that circuit?

Solution

PSU. Your PSU may experience load variances on the AC side as other appliances or computers on the same circuit are loaded. But unless something causes an actual power interruption (think brownout), your SSD will be unaware of the event.

If you're really concerned about it, get a UPS. I have one to protect from brownouts and surges. Every now and then it detects a problem with the AC power and takes over. And of course it's always a little extra peace of mind...

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think so. After the AC is converted to DC, it loads up a bunch of capacitors and passes through a few VRMs. I don't think you'd ever see it effect one of the DC rails. (Your SSD is on a DC rail)

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

"Most modern residential circuits are 15 or 20 amps, so we're looking at a max load of either (15A x 120V =) 1800 watts or (20A x 120V =) 2400 watts before the breaker trips. The breaker will be labeled either 15 or 20."

I am using about 900-1000 of those watts so closer to half, I thought it was 1500w on a 15amp circuit.

"I have read that the most vulnerable part of a computer to under-voltage/brown outs are the SSD's. Computer B has two 500gb SSD's I would like to keep tip top. "

I am most concerned about those components being affected by a potential under volt or dip in power.

-The only question I am really asking is will either computer cause the other to have a dip in power. Like when you have a lot of lights etc on a circuit and you add another and you get a momentary flicker.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Are you talking about inside of the SSD's? Or inside the PSU?

Read this http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/etc/guide-voltageoptimisation.php

There'll be a similar spec for whatever country you are In.

Voltage fluctuates a lot anyway, they allow it to fluctuate to maintain the frequency.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

PSU. Your PSU may experience load variances on the AC side as other appliances or computers on the same circuit are loaded. But unless something causes an actual power interruption (think brownout), your SSD will be unaware of the event.

If you're really concerned about it, get a UPS. I have one to protect from brownouts and surges. Every now and then it detects a problem with the AC power and takes over. And of course it's always a little extra peace of mind during storms.

Solution