Question 2 monitor setup

patrikrk13

Reputable
Dec 29, 2020
Hello
I have a 165hz monitor for my main and i want to buy another one just to have it for youtube/twitch etc while im gaming
it has to be the same hz ? i need to buy another 165hz monitor or any monitor should be fine ?

Lutfij

Titan
it has to be the same hz ?
No

You can buy just about any other monitor under the sun as a secondary panel. If you're nit picky about both panels needing to be the same...then yes you buy into another identical panel as your primary.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when both are turned on your gpu will match the speed for both monitors. so if one is slower, that is what you will get for both.

so yes you should get the same speed monitor for the second one if you want to keep the fps up while gaming and using both.

any monitor will work as a second monitor but a slow 60 hz screen will limit your nice fast one to the same 60 hz.

bignastyid

Titan
when both are turned on your gpu will match the speed for both monitors. so if one is slower, that is what you will get for both.

so yes you should get the same speed monitor for the second one if you want to keep the fps up while gaming and using both.

any monitor will work as a second monitor but a slow 60 hz screen will limit your nice fast one to the same 60 hz.
Not true. Have used several multiple monitor setups and having different refresh rates is fine. Currently my main monitor is 3440x1440@100hz and the 2nd is 2560x1440@165hz and a 3rd internal display is 1440x1440@60hz It does not make me use the same refresh on all 3 and fps is fine when gaming.
Only a surround type setup would require you to use the same refresh rate and also the same resolution.

patrikrk13

Reputable
Dec 29, 2020
my main one it's 1080p 165hz msig27c7 and I want to buy a cheap one just for some twitch/ YouTube etc while I'm gaming
so you say i can set up my first for 165 a d my second for 60 ? as the one that I want to buy it's a Dell office 1080p 60hz

I have two diverse monitors with different speeds and resolutions.
They are managed differently via windows display settings.
Not a problem there.
I might suggest that you look for a same 27" size 1080P monitor.
With equal size and resolution, dragging windows from one to the other is seamless.
Keep a task manager/performance tab active on the side monitor while gaming.
You may find the individual logical thread usage informative.