Question 2 new PSU's with a old GPU = problem ; (OLD PSU = NO PROBLEM)

Jun 29, 2024
Hi guys, how are you?
I wanted to ask you about a problem I am having.
About a month ago I bought a new power supply to replace my old one. The old one was a Sentey ERP700W-SS. It was working perfectly (despite being 10 years old), but I am in the process of upgrading the GPU (I currently have a GTX 1060, and I plan to buy a RTX 3080ti), so I wanted to upgrade it as well.

The new power supply I bought was a Cooler Master G800 80 Plus Gold ATX. However, when I finally installed it, I started having problems almost instantly.
When I played a more or less demanding game, or when I ran some benchmark test, the screen would go black and the fans inside the case (at least the GPU fans) would start running at full speed. This problem totally disabled the use of the PC, and I had to proceed with a hard reset to get back to normal.

At first I thought that I plugged the cables in wrong, or that it was something to do with some static charge due to having assembled the PC barefoot. However, after assembling and disassembling all the components and cables several times, and tightening all the components (GPU, RAMs) sockets, I was out of options. There was no way to get it to work properly and not get the aforementioned error. As soon as I ran Heaven Benchmark or any game, the screen would turn black and the fans would go crazy.
I finally decided to put the previous power supply back in (Sentey ERP700-SS) and, to my surprise, everything worked like a charm. Games ran perfect, and the Heaven Benchmark performed flawlessly.
I was really concerned that the new power supply might have been faulty from the factory, so I put it back in... and the problem reappeared. In one instance the new power supply managed to work fine, but as soon as I moved the cabinet sideways, the problem was triggered. I concluded, unfortunately, that the power supply was defective, and asked for a refund (perhaps there was a loose component inside).

After 20 days, my money was refunded, and I decided to buy a different source. A new Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850w Gold Modular. I had to put more money, but I thought it was worth it.

After installing it and being able to run the PC, the first thing I did was to run Heaven Benchmark. It worked perfectly! ... However, after a couple of days of use, and while watching a YouTube video.... BANG!!! The previous problem reappeared. Black screen + fans at maximum = hard reset.
Worried, I went back to run Heaven.... It worked great. I tested it several times, and this time, just in case, I decided to underclock the GPU (maybe it was a GPU problem, I flatly refused to accept that 2 NEW PSU's were defective).

Finally we come to today. With the new PSU installed and the GPU underclocked, I was watching a YouTube video at 1440p, and suddenly... the problem again.
GOD, I don't know what to do anymore.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong?

I share the rest of the technical specifications of my PC:

New PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gf1 850w Gold Modular
Motherboard: A320 PRO-VH (MS - 7C52)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 1 x 16GB DDR4
STORE : 1 x SSD 1TB and 1 x HDD 1TB

EXTRA DATA - Old PSU: Sentey ERP700-SS (10 years old, and that does not generate problems)

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. XXXX [Moderator note: deleted apparent link to msi account login.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
I would start by looking in Reliabillity History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that were captured just before or at the time of the problem's appearance.

Reliability History presents a time line format that may reveal some pattern with respect to problems appearing and dissapearing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand. However there is no need to rush through it and you can take your time to investigate details etc. as necessary.

One immediate question: you always used only the cables that came with any given PSU - correct?

My sense is that something is loose or cracked and, one way or another, causing some short.

More information needed.

Jun 29, 2024
Hi. Thanks for replying!!!
One immediate question: you always used only the cables that came with any given PSU - correct?
Yes, it is my first modular PSU, and I am using the cables that came with it (they are not meshed).
Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand. However there is no need to rush through it and you can take your time to investigate details etc. as necessary.
In the Reliability History I found nothing relevant except a banner at the same time of the problem that "Windows did not shut down properly", with no additional information.
On the other hand, I just checked as you said, and found in the Event Viewer these two errors:
Do they mean anything?

PS: I think I failed to clarify one thing, which I don't know if it's relevant... I'm using an old monitor with low resolution (something like 1366x756). I don't know if it's relevant, but the last time the problem appeared I was watching a 1440p video.

edit: I had uploaded the wrong image of the error.

Last edited:
Black screen and fans to maximum is a power problem the vast majority of the time. I find it highly unlikely that the problem is with either one of the power supplies you've gotten.

The only time I've had this occur was when I didn't get the 2 pin part of the 6+2 pin connector in correctly so bumping the case would cause a disruption of power.

Is it possible that the connector on the video card has been warped in some fashion?

Jun 29, 2024
Black screen and fans to maximum is a power problem the vast majority of the time. I find it highly unlikely that the problem is with either one of the power supplies you've gotten.

The only time I've had this occur was when I didn't get the 2 pin part of the 6+2 pin connector in correctly so bumping the case would cause a disruption of power.

Is it possible that the connector on the video card has been warped in some fashion?
Mmm maybe the GPU connector is deformed, as you say. The thing is, if that's the case, why does it work perfectly with the old PSU?