Question 2 questions: compatibility? / DDR4 or 5?

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello All

I'm soon building a new computer. I have two questions:
1. Are the below listed components compatible ? I'm a bit unsecured due to all what has changed over the last 6 to 8 years.
2. With those, do I have to put DDR5 or can I stay with DDR4?

Thanks in advance.
Lu :)

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF
Graphic Card: MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti VENTUS 2X

Everything works together, I would recommend getting a 14700K so it comes with the on chip GPU just in case something goes wrong. The F at the end of the 14700KF means it does not have a on chip GPU.

As for the board it runs DDR5 ram, I would look at something like 2x16GB 6000MT/s CL30

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Thank you so much, I have selected the 14700K as recommended, as well as DDR5.

For the 14700K, I have two versions available in the shop: LGA 1700 and LCLGA 1700. What is the "LC" difference between the two (apart from the price, the one with "LCLGA 1700" is more expensive)?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you so much, I have selected the 14700K as recommended, as well as DDR5.

For the 14700K, I have two versions available in the shop: LGA 1700 and LCLGA 1700. What is the "LC" difference between the two (apart from the price, the one with "LCLGA 1700" is more expensive)?
With the problems with those Intel processors I can't recommend buying one.
If it's for gaming buy you a nice 7800X3D

You can use this site to help with compatibility it's not 100% accurate but a good start.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With the problems with those Intel processors I can't recommend buying one.
If it's for gaming buy you a nice 7800X3D

I think buying a new Intel CPU today is fairly safe. Just have to make sure to update the BIOS regularly over the next few months to catch any microcode and motherboard config changes.

New BIOS updates should start rolling out mid-August to address the current problems.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All the people that have high end 13th and 14th gen processors over the last two years or so are the ones who are in trouble.

I dodged a bullet by being cheap and picking up a 12700KF when it was on sale. Depending on how Bartlett lake pans out, a new boxed 14700K is still an option.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I think buying a new Intel CPU today is fairly safe. Just have to make sure to update the BIOS regularly over the next few months to catch any microcode and motherboard config changes.

New BIOS updates should start rolling out mid-August to address the current problems.
I think it's hit and miss anyhow. If the updates even fix it.
On the other hand my brother bought a 13900K when it was released and has had no problems.

Edit I'm a Intel fan but if I was building right now it would be the 7800x3d