[SOLVED] 2 Sata power to 8 pin for 2070 super gpu

Aug 25, 2020
I couldn’t find an answer that my question directly and don’t enough to determine if this is safe.

I have a 700 W power supply with 2 (6+2 pin) power connectors. My 2070 super requires a 6 pin and 8 pin power. I know the 700 w is enough to run the gpu but is the use of a y splitter with 2 sata power in to 1 (8 pin) out safe?

Power Supply and y splitter
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/bvK22eF

Thanks

Solution
Isn't this a decade-old Seventeam-made PSU? I'm not sure I'd want to run a $500 GPU on this in any case.

Correct.

Please elaborate. I’ve heard to run a power supply until it’s dead.

You're hearing things from people that clearly know nothing.

As a PSU ages, it's ability to output clean power deteriorates. This, in turn, slowly kills your components down stream. So while the PSU may "seem" to work properly because "things are working", it probably isnt.

Additionally, when a PSU finally does fail, they often do so spectacularly. And when these failures are on the secondary side (the DC side), they can kill the components that are plugged into it.
You don't realize that the 6+2 = 8?

If your PSU has two 6+2-pin PCIe connectors, and you need a 6 and an 8, why would you use an adapter?

And a SATA to PCIe adapter is a FIRE HAZARD. SATA only has one +12V. PCIe 8-pin has FOUR. Simply math and knowledge of Ohms law should tell you that's a horrible idea.

Aug 25, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Tov5Gql

I might have over complicated my problem. Can I just use these cables? I don’t understand how the extra 2 pin off the 6 provides additional power. It looks like it would draw from the 6 instead of making it an 8. Can you explain a bit?

I added up the wattage of the 2 satas and it didn’t make it to the 8 pin wattage so I figured it was a bad idea. Why does this connector exist if its only use it to make an IED out of a computer?

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Tov5Gql

I might have over complicated my problem. Can I just use these cables? I don’t understand how the extra 2 pin off the 6 provides additional power. It looks like it would draw from the 6 instead of making it an 8. Can you explain a bit?

I added up the wattage of the 2 satas and it didn’t make it to the 8 pin wattage so I figured it was a bad idea. Why does this connector exist if its only use it to make an IED out of a computer?

Just plug the 6 pin into the 6 pin on the GPU and the 8 pin using the 6+2 on the 8 pin GPU connector and you're done. That's what you have to do. Those cables are PCIe cables made for your GPU.

Isn't this a decade-old Seventeam-made PSU? I'm not sure I'd want to run a $500 GPU on this in any case.

Correct.

Please elaborate. I’ve heard to run a power supply until it’s dead.

As a PSU ages, it's ability to output clean power deteriorates. This, in turn, slowly kills your components down stream. So while the PSU may "seem" to work properly because "things are working", it probably isnt.

Additionally, when a PSU finally does fail, they often do so spectacularly. And when these failures are on the secondary side (the DC side), they can kill the components that are plugged into it.

Solution
Aug 25, 2020
Correct.

I’m considering upgrading to an i9-9900k using an Multifan AIO with the 2070super. What would be an adequate power supply wattage and brand? How often should a psu be replaced?

Thanks for the help. I plugged in the (6+2) and 6 pin and my 2070s is running fine. I’m trying to learn as much as I can so I don’t waste any money.

I’m considering upgrading to an i9-9900k using an Multifan AIO with the 2070super. What would be an adequate power supply wattage and brand? How often should a psu be replaced?

Thanks for the help. I plugged in the (6+2) and 6 pin and my 2070s is running fine. I’m trying to learn as much as I can so I don’t waste any money.
The i9-9900k and the RTX 2070 Super can consume lots of power when both are pushed hard. I'd be looking for a Corsair RM750x or a Seasonic Focus GX-750. You might consider going with the new i7-10700k instead.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS