2 versions of XP which is better?

I just bought a new laptop with XP Home; I have been using XP Pro and when I
went to install it on the new laptop a pop-up said that I was "attempting to
install an older version and I would lose the upgrades from the current
version". Now I am not sure what I will lose, what are the improvements and
differences in the software between the "2005 XP Home" vs the "2000 XP Pro"?
I would appreciate any suggestions.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"JMH" <JMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new laptop with XP Home; I have been using XP Pro and when
> went to install it on the new laptop a pop-up said that I was "attempting
> install an older version and I would lose the upgrades from the current
> version". Now I am not sure what I will lose, what are the improvements
> and
> differences in the software between the "2005 XP Home" vs the "2000 XP
> Pro"?
> I would appreciate any suggestions.

The newer Home probably included SP2. The Pro version you have may not
even have SP1 included with it. This is not a problem as you can get
SP2 at Windows Update. SP2 includes SP1. I'm using XP Pro version 2002
which included SP1.

What you will lose are all the Windows Updates. You'll have to start
over if you install your Pro version. You may lose any unbacked up data
also.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:95F0D310-0057-46FA-82AC-AF9C35C454EC@microsoft.com,
JMH <JMH@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user

THANKS TO YOU BOTH - WEB SITE and comments
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "JMH" <JMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a new laptop with XP Home; I have been using XP Pro and when
> > went to install it on the new laptop a pop-up said that I was "attempting
> > install an older version and I would lose the upgrades from the current
> > version". Now I am not sure what I will lose, what are the improvements
> > and
> > differences in the software between the "2005 XP Home" vs the "2000 XP
> > Pro"?
> > I would appreciate any suggestions.

the newer Pro version also contacts SP2.

> The newer Home probably included SP2. The Pro version you have may not
> even have SP1 included with it. This is not a problem as you can get
> SP2 at Windows Update. SP2 includes SP1. I'm using XP Pro version 2002
> which included SP1.
>
> What you will lose are all the Windows Updates. You'll have to start
> over if you install your Pro version. You may lose any unbacked up data
> also.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:95F0D310-0057-46FA-82AC-AF9C35C454EC@microsoft.com,
> JMH <JMH@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I just bought a new laptop with XP Home; I have been using XP Pro and
>> when I went to install it on the new laptop a pop-up said that I was
>> "attempting to install an older version and I would lose the upgrades
>> from the current version". Now I am not sure what I will lose, what
>> are the improvements and differences in the software between the
>> "2005 XP Home" vs the "2000 XP Pro"? I would appreciate any
>> suggestions.

"JMH" <JMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new laptop with XP Home; I have been using XP Pro and when
> went to install it on the new laptop a pop-up said that I was "attempting
> install an older version and I would lose the upgrades from the current
> version". Now I am not sure what I will lose, what are the improvements
> and
> differences in the software between the "2005 XP Home" vs the "2000 XP
> Pro"?
> I would appreciate any suggestions.

No such thing as "2005 XP Home" it is either "Windows XP Professional" or
"Windows XP Home" they're just new releases, and include Service Pack 2.