[SOLVED] 2 weeks investigating internet issue. Packetloss/Lag Spikes

Bauer24x

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
ill try to keep this short and super easy to understand...Ive been trying to investigate a problem for 2 weeks and its getting exhausting...

So for about 1 month or soo ive been getting lag spikes on BFV. Game will freeze and tons of players will be walking in place. Then ill end up across the map dead. It wasn't much at first so i thought it was cause BFV was new and it was BFV. But then Discord aka Voice Chat will have packet loss and people will be quiet there convo will be seconds later and ill be like were you talking that whole time.

I Had a tech guy come here and say its cause i'm using there router. And im like that BS respond and something you guys would say to resolve something. So im like okay prove me wrong. im using there router now. This was 4-5 days ago. Had a tech guy here 2 days ago. He found the line from spliter to router and cable box very cut up and stuff. im like that has to be. Nope that wasnt it. Still have a problem

So im like it has to be a software issue. I Thought it was cause i installed the Killer Ethernet E2500 Drivers. So i uninstalled them. I Then went further to investigate. I Did Wifi on PS4 and also Wired on PS4 and i still get bad packet loss. Also i was on the phone and my friend said i was cutting in and out. And im like really im actually on Wifi Calling. Soo even on wifi calling i was cutting out.

So what im bascially asking is there anything my internet company can even do? Can there actually be an internal issue that can be looked at? is it them still?

Wired with Cat6

Solution
You have to do more detailed testing. You need to determine where the packet loss is.

First step is to run a tracert to some IP like 8.8.8.8. If you get very lucky the tracert might show the issue but in most cases it is not.

What you want to do now is open multiple cmd windows. You want to ping hop 1 which is your router, hop2 which should be the ISP first router, and the 8.8.8.8

If you see loss in hop1 the problem is in your house. If hop 1 is good but hop 2 show issues then the problem is in the connection between your house and the ISP. If both those are good but you still see issues to the final node then problem is more complex and you will have to ping other hops.

Bauer24x

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

He Checked it. Everything is tight.

im thinking im gonna have the tech guy come back and go outside and go to powerline box and put me on new line or a line that supports the speed that i pay for? Cause i might be on an old line. Cause been on the same like for 7 years.

You have to do more detailed testing. You need to determine where the packet loss is.

First step is to run a tracert to some IP like 8.8.8.8. If you get very lucky the tracert might show the issue but in most cases it is not.

What you want to do now is open multiple cmd windows. You want to ping hop 1 which is your router, hop2 which should be the ISP first router, and the 8.8.8.8

If you see loss in hop1 the problem is in your house. If hop 1 is good but hop 2 show issues then the problem is in the connection between your house and the ISP. If both those are good but you still see issues to the final node then problem is more complex and you will have to ping other hops.

Solution