200GB Toshiba HDD Built for Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
To be used for what? System files (engine software, etc) or multimedia? Kind of relevant because if it's the former then even 1GB would be enough - but if it's for multimedia, I doubt a HDD is the way to go - I think a 40GB SSD would be a lot more realistic and practical.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]Pointless with SSD technology out now.No altitude restrictions, 100% quite and far more shock resistant.[/citation]
Yeah, I had the exact same thought when I was reading the artcile. The interior of a car is a very harsh environment for a hard drive, even a hardened one. Hugh temperature swings, vibrations out the wazoo, lateral forces upwards of 2Gs, accelerationa and deceleration forces even higher than that (especially the way I drive). An SSD, on the other hand, wouldn't be phased by any of that. Granted they are considerably more expensive, but then we are talking about a car, and probably a pretty nice one at that. At the end of the day, it won't add that much more to the total price.

G

I used a 100GB 3.5" HD in my old carputer system. It worked fine most of the time, but occasionally had issues with the extreme cold (fluid bearing drives), high heat(lack of cooling) as well as the bigger potholes. SSD is definitely the way to go now.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]lateral forces upwards of 2Gs, accelerationa and deceleration forces even higher than that (especially the way I drive)[/citation]

What the hell do you drive? A Dodge Viper ACR pulls 1.02 G's on the skid pad according to Car & Driver.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I have such a drive (Seagate) in my carputer. They cost more than an average hard drive, but less than a SSD and they're really reliable. It survived through a canadian winter!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I have such a drive (Seagate) in my carputer. They cost more than an average hard drive, but less than a SSD and they're really reliable. It survived through a canadian winter![/citation]
Oh my god! It can survive anything!
Even nukes can kill a roach, but a HDD that survives a Canadian winter? No way!

I agree, with even new crappy cars still costing $15,000, is $50 worth of flash memory a huge difference?
I think GPS and the such should come reinstalled in every car. Manufacturers could probably do them for an extra $50 each of they wanted to.

I don't see much of a purpose for these.

G

To those suggesting to go SSD, there is another factor to consider: operating temperature. Not many SSD can go below 0°C, while this drive has an extended temperature operating range of (-30° to 85°C)

Status
Not open for further replies.