2011: Is Microsoft Drifting Into Insignificance?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]sudeshc[/nom]totally agree the kind of organization MS is they should have been setting trends instead now a days all they are doing is trying to catchup be it mobile or windows or anything. It seems more like what author said they don't have there own vision and are trying to fit in new trends in the existing products somehow.[/citation]

MS doesn't need to play catch up on anything. MS if it wanted to could take over and dominate any market it wanted to and pump in billions of dollars doing it to stop anyone else down and take total control like they have over the OS market. But then whinny little kids would cry monopoly bitch piss and moan how MS wont let anyone else play yada yada. Instead they work in the areas they want to to avoid all the anti trust lawsuits. MS is one of the company's that can do that. They are like giants if they want to move they can do a lot. They allow these people who make software to be in the market because if they wanted to they could crush them to insignificance. But then we would have all the crying ranting and moaning with lawsuits as i mentioned before. MS does what they should be doing.. Supplying stable compatible and open as it needs to be platforms so the world can run.

Now Microsoft is more then capable of making a brand new super sleek fast and a lot more secure and whatever you want os. But there would be NO COMPUTABILITY. They would have to drop almost all of it to do this. So now that they just pissed off 90% of their market they can go and be mac os.

I would love to see linux, mac, android even attempt to support 2% os what MS has to in its OS so i can watch it crumble under its self. or for that matter be a standard setter.

I used the iphone android phone blackberry phone and windows phone. The one that worked the best and just worked with everything i had with out even doing anything was the windows phone on os 6.5, though i prefer my bb over it cuz the storms touch screen is way better then the rest out there. but using my windows phone was like using my home computer. even the IE on it could do flash and i didn't need a bunch of shitty apps that i shouldn't need in the first place because these features should already be there in the first place were all on my windows phone. I cant say that for any other phone i used. Not to mention if i needed a app for my phone no other phone came close to the amount of programs for my windows phone. Unless you need a crappy app store to use then i guess they don't have any. I just goggled whatever i needed.

I still to this day cannot find any good reasons for people to mindlessly bash on MS.they make a good OS for most people, they make or made i haven't tried mobile 7 great phones for business people. they make great office software. they make a good console (which i could care less about) i like their mp3 players though i don't own one because i have a cellphone with a memory card. And after looking up serious flaws in all the major browsers and how long it takes them to fix them (most of which are left for years and a lot left unfixed) i even rather use IE.

I'm just so tired of hearing mac and linux can do this and this and this and everything windows does.. well i hate to break it to you but if they could they wouldn't be go no where os's and they would be on half the computers being sold by now or more most likely. when you buy a computer then would ask.. which OS would you prefer? but no they cannot so this wont happen until they can. and so far android is really nothing more then a phone gimmick i wont even consider it a contender for anything other then toy unless it shows it can do something in a serious manor.

G

Steam works on wine. Go download the playonlinux app:
http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

corporal_linko

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
XBOX Live pretty much set the bar for online console gaming, is that not innovative? I own the Xbox 360, Ps3 and Wii and while I like them all for different reasons none of them can touch Xbox Live for online gaming. I think people see how Android announces 3 new versions every year and Iphone gets a yearly update that Microsoft must not be innovative since they take forever to put out updates or new products to their major product lines. Think what it would it would be like for the big companies that are running 10,000 desktops with Windows on them if there was a new version every year! Hell most of them are still running XP because of the testing and resources it takes them to switch their desktops to a new version of Windows. One of my customers I was talking to won't even install a new program on the corporate desktops without all most a year of testing both in the labs and simulated office environments. It's not quite like your home computer when one day you decide to make a few backups, format your hard drive and install a new OS.

G

"Windows 8 is still a couple years out, but we already know that Microsoft is modeling the OS after Apple ideas"

Hey, not to put to fine a point on it, but welcome to 1985.

franktreehill

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
While I'd agree that the Kinect for the 360 is lackluster, this Kinect overall is an amazing NI accessory. Its allowing people to really push the envelope of NI applications and the its practical use.

For example, Kinect being used for Gesture based surgery applications or what about autonomously driving robots. The point is the Kinect is priced so competitively that its really going to be amazing how it pushes forward Natural Interface products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS