2012 - Doomsday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Believer or non believer?

What with all the earthquakes going on and crazy people shooting up schools and overall madness, it arouses the mind that perhaps that this is a glimpse of what is to come, what say you?!

I say no, after December 21st, 2012 there will be another doomsday that people will start to look forward to. The end of the world will not be sudden, it will come relitavely slow...

Actually school shootings have been trending downward for the past 10 years. It's just that when one happens, it's nonstop publicity.

And haven't you heard. According to some, global warming is responsible for earthquakes.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Lol, Global warming must be responsible for one of the coldest/snowiest winters the USA has seen in years too :p

I Also heard that many years ago, everyone knew that the earth was flat...

I'm just saying, just having the prospect of the world ending in 2012 is making people panic, this is not what people need right now, LOL

I just bought the movie on BD (already pretty cheap price). Kinda funky premise, seeing as how the Sun has been stable for 4.6B years and then just decides to emit an enormous flare full of mutating neutrinos..

If you look at scenario #7 on http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp-1.html:

The gravitational binding energy of a planet of mass M and radius R is - if you do the lengthy calculations - given by the formula E=(3/5)GM^2/R. For Earth, that works out to roughly 224,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Joules. The Sun takes nearly a WEEK to output that much energy. Think about THAT.

To liberate that much energy requires the complete annihilation of around 2,500,000,000,000 tonnes of antimatter. That's assuming zero energy loss to heat and radiation, which is unlikely to be the case in reality: You'll probably need to up the dose by at least a factor of ten. Once you've generated your antimatter, probably in space, just launch it en masse towards Earth. The resulting release of energy (obeying Einstein's famous mass-energy equation, E=mc^2) should be sufficient to split the Earth into a thousand pieces.

Of course, just heating up the core & mantle to the point where it melts the crust (as in 2012) would take considerably less energy - maybe a thousandth - which is still more than what a big solar flare would output...

Also, take a look at #6 on the above link - vacuum energy. According to quantum physics, 'empty space' at absolute zero temperature is not at zero energy - it's apparently just what mathematicians call a local minimum (i.e., a relative "zero" point, since elements within the minimum tend to eventually settle at the bottom point, much like the so-called 'heat death' of the universe). As mentioned in the article, a volume of 'empty space' the size of that within a light bulb has a tremendous amount of energy within it. Physicists have actually measured it using two flat plates positioned within microns of each other - there is a net pressure forcing the plates apart due to a disparity of the vacuum energy on the outside of the plates vs. that in between the plates.

Vacuum energy (aka dark energy) is what will eventually rip the universe (including us) into atoms and then quarks, if nothing else interferes.

I dunno if related or not, but I was reading about the so-called 'dark flow' of galaxies, clusters & superclusters in the direction of the Centaurus supercluster, on MSNBC this morning. This seems to be the same phenomenom that was supposedly caused by the "Great Attractor" about 10 or 15 years ago, except now scientists posit the attractor may be over the observable universe horizon, or even in another inflationary bubble universe outside our own.

Personally I wonder if this may be evidence of the 'branes' suggested by string theory - where the 4D universe that we observe is just a membrane in 10 dimensions, & that the 'big bang' creation of the universe was just two 'branes' smacking into each other. No need for the 'branes' to be the 4D equivalent of flat, either, so the Great Attractor could just be a bulge in our 'brane' attracting a bulge in another.

Food for the 'brain' anyway :p

G

I relish the Idea that the End of Earth could happen in my lifetime.

I would stand there watching that meteor fall through the sky and grin stupidly or just sit peacefully and smile as the earth shook its self apart..

It does not phase me at all, death is the greatest answer to the fundamental question of life and what it is.

I want to see my death coming with open eyes and clear thought!

2012 is a big number in our history, and so many things point to it, but if it is true and apocalypse is upon us

question is

Would you want to survive!!!

Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet, Is it doomsday yet,

Well it depends on what gives the most pleasure, the raping or the pillaging. If I pillage first I may not be able to do as much raping but if I rape first I will be able to pillage at my leisure.

Physicists set schedule for Earth’s biggest bang

Large Hadron Collider to smash protons at record energy starting March 30

GENEVA - The world's largest scientific experiment will try to collide particles at the highest energy level so far on March 30, re-creating conditions at the "Big Bang" birth of the universe 13.7 billion years ago, CERN said Tuesday.

The Large Hadron Collider, centered in a 17-mile-round (27-kilometer-round) underground tunnel beneath the French-Swiss border, began circulating particles last November after being shut down in September 2008 because of overheating.

Twin beams are currently circulating at 3.5 trillion electron volts, or TeV, the highest energy ever achieved. The next step is to bring those beams together for the first actual collisions at that energy, according to CERN. The acronym stands for Centre Européen pour la Recherche Nucleaire, or the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

"The first attempt for collisions at 7 TeV (3.5 TeV per beam) is scheduled for March 30," CERN said in a statement.

Rolf Heuer, CERN's director-general, said: "It may take hours or even days to get collisions".

The multiple collisions at 7 TeV will each create mini-big bangs, producing data that thousands of scientists will analyze for years to come.

"Just lining the beams up is a challenge in itself: It's a bit like firing needles across the Atlantic and getting them to collide halfway," Steve Myers, CERN's director for accelerators and technology, said in Tuesday's statement.

Once the high-speed collisions are established, the plan is to run continuously for 18 to 24 months at 7 TeV, with only a short technical pause at the end of 2010, CERN said. At the end of the extended run, the collider will be shut down for more thoroughgoing maintenance — and then physicists will work toward doubling the collision energy to 14 TeV. It may take until 2013 or 2014 for the LHC to reach full power.

Interactive

Click to go inside the big bang machine

CERN said the collisions at 7 TeV will mark the beginning of the LHC's official research program. One of the discoveries that could be made relates to the nature of dark matter, which scientists believe makes up 25 percent of the universe.

Astronomers and physicists say that only 5 percent of the universe is known currently, and that the invisible remainder consists of dark matter and dark energy, which make up some 25 percent and 70 percent, respectively. Physicists speculate that dark matter may be composed of exotic particles that could be detected for the first time by the Large Hadron Collider.

So 12-21-12 may be coming a bit early, on 3-30-10 :p

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
SO, if this Mini big-bang happens, does that mean that a little mini-universe is spawned from the singularity which would also entail mini-galaxies which consist of mini-stars & planets with the prospect of life on one of those mini-planets? If so, that would mean that in fact, the scientists who created it are indeed god to the life forms as they created them. Dr. Heimenburger could very well have a statue of himself somewhere on a mini-planet....

IIRC our "big bang" can only be extrapolated back to the Planck era, some 10^-43 seconds after the universe began. I read or saw somewhere that even before the inflationary phase change era - i.e., up until 10^-37 seconds - the universe was somewhere between a pinhead and baseball in size, since matter cannot travel faster than the speed of light and light only travels (3x10^8 m/s) x (10^-37s) = 3x10^-29m or in other words, pretty stationary from the Planck to the inflationary era.

During the inflationary era of 10^-37 to 10^-23 seconds, the spacetime fabric itself expanded exponentially & carried matter with it. Something like 10^10^4, if I recall from an old Astronomy article by Alan Guth, who was one of the authors of the inflationary theory.

So my point is, just because a big bang starts out very small, doesn't mean it'll end up that way :D...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

But my point is all about relativity. if our universe's big-bang was produced from something roughly the size between a pinhead to a baseball, in relative terms, the particles (atoms) that they are going to collide to cause this mini big-bang would be much smaller than that of a pinhead, let alone baseball.

I do agree though, even if a quark spawned big-bang & ensuing universe, that universe would actually be quite large over time.

So, my question remains, is there chance that this mini big-bang could create a rapidly-growing universe? (relative to our universe)

If so, this could be bad...

No. If you pillage first, you may be too tired to rape.

I just saw 2012 on an airplane flight. I'm glad I didn't spend any money to see it. Airfare doesn't count. I had to travel anyway.

And "mutating neutrinos"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why the density approached infinite levels - our "universe" was basically a really dense quark-gluon soup at a temperature of (insert really big number here) :D. Atoms are a relatively low-temperature phenomenom - some 400,000 years after the BB as I recall, which astronomers can tell from the cosmic microwave background (CMB). The universe did not become transparent to EM radiation until after most of the ionized matter cooled enough for atoms to form.

I do agree though, even if a quark spawned big-bang & ensuing universe, that universe would actually be quite large over time.

So, my question remains, is there chance that this mini big-bang could create a rapidly-growing universe? (relative to our universe)

If so, this could be bad

I recall reading one cosmologist's theory that the BB did not need a super-exorbitant amount of energy to form - it's really a question of energy density, since otherwise a supernova or colliding black holes would trigger the same. Sorta like a fusion bomb - you could light a trainload of matches under deuterium all day long and it'll never fuse. If however you had one 20-million-degree match, it'd start to go as long as you could confine it.

Of course, another cosmologist (or maybe a cosmetician :p) theorizes that our universe sparks off tons of daughter universes every minute, but we never perceive them because they're in an alternate 10 dimensions.

So the moral of the story is - choose your cosmetician, and your cosmologist - carefully since otherwise you'll age prematurely due to worrying :p.

Yeah - those mutant neutrinos are a real killer :p.

I guess the sequel will be entitled "2014 - Attack of the 50-Foot-Tall Neutrino" :D

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Believer or non believer?

2012 doomsday?.Yes,the whole human race will perish in the year 2012.The maya predicted it......wait...no,no they didnt.

I find it amusing because the maya never predicted a doomsday in 2012.There is nothing in the mayan account saying that the world will end in 2012.To them the year 2012 represents a new beginning,it was the end of the long count on their calendar and thats about it.The maya had their own cycle just like we have cycles of a month,year,century and so on,although to them it would have been of great significance.It was the beginning of the new cycle on their calendar.

Also,its been suggested that some sort of galactic alignment will cause some sort of disturbance on earth.Planet earth has been around for 4.5 billion years and this has occured a number of times already.

The whole 2012 mayan doomsday thing is basically a fabrication and has simply been exploited by hollywood and book writers.

As for the concerns some have with the LHC,i wont get into that,i will simply say....no..Were talking about protons,very small scale,very low energy compared to the mass of a star.Its interesting to think about but even if something were to happen there is nothing that could be done about it.After all were trying to understand the universe.That would be like standing by a bundle of TNT and and watching it go off to see what would happen,it would be far too late when you realize its going to explode in your face.

The biggest threat to our survival is ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.