News 2014-Era GTX 970 Emerges as Value GPU on eBay During Shortage

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
looks at his GTX 960 and thinks... i never thought it would be worth anything again.
Puts it away as its nice to have a spare.
this is getting silly.

It is, and I've considered putting my son's RX 5700 up for sale, and swapping him back to his RX 580. He knows the 5700 performs better, but given the prices, even he's been like "well, the 580 wasn't terrible..."

Reactions: artk2219

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't sell it, as it only takes bad luck and me needing a new GPU... the 960 isn't a great alternative but since only other one is Intel graphics in the 4690K, I think I would accept it while looking for an expensive replacement.

I would prefer it if a replacement was possible to buy.
I don't know if I would sell a GPU now when spares so handy to have.

Reactions: artk2219 and King_V

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This must be embarrassing for Nvidia that gamers are being forced to turn to 9-series cards now. Nvidia is going to get absolutely screwed once the crypto bubble pops again.

I've been wanting to sell off my 1070 for a no-extra-cost upgrade to a 3060 Ti or some models of 3070. Haven't been able to purchase a card yet though. I finally put in the time to write a purchase bot, but even it's struggling.

This must be embarrassing for Nvidia that gamers are being forced to turn to 9-series cards now. Nvidia is going to get absolutely screwed once the crypto bubble pops again.
Nvidia was selling every Ampere card before the mining surge, and it would have made a lot of money off Ampere at the official prices. Being able to sell every GPU (and then some) at inflated prices just means Nvidia is making even more money. So are its partners. As long as Nvidia doesn't be the farm on a continuing mining surge, it will be fine -- better than fine. If the bubble popped today, right now, and prices dropped back to MSRPs, all that would happen is profits would decrease. Plus, Nvidia likely sells most of its GPUs through contracts with third party AIBs, meaning it doesn't even get a lot of the benefit. That Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/EVGA/etc. RTX 3060 Ti card selling for $649 or whatever? Nvidia still sold the GPU to the AIB at the original contract price (probably something like $199). AIB profits will be hardest hit when the bubble pops, and they'll be the ones dealing with RMAs for years to come.

Giroro

Splendid
I'm Curious where non-gaming cards come in on the price/fps, and budget APUs. I think the only GPUs you can buy right now at semi-resonable prices are in the GT 710 or maybe 1030 tier.
I'm strongly considering selling my GTX 1080, but I also need to be able to use my computer until this mess blows over.
Thanks AMD, for removing integrated graphics from all your good CPUs.

Edit: Actually it turns out all the AM4 APUs are gone too.

larkspur

Distinguished
$450 for an RX 580 8gb??? That's USED??? Wut??? Less than a year ago I bought this brand new: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-deal#xenforo-comments-3581510

To think that I could turn around and sell it a year later for more than 300% of its price is absolutely insanely tempting... Just the principle of it! I mean, I could drop in my old 6970 2gb and go back to playing older games... What a crazy market! Total insanity.

I'm still rocking a GTX 960 4G SSC and I have zero issues. I'm not one who needs 60+ FPS. I got an extra 5 FPS on Shadow of the Tomb Raider going from 32 to 37 on High @ 1920x1200 just from finally upgrading from my FX 8320 to a Ryzen 5 3600.

$450 for an RX 580 8gb??? That's USED??? Wut??? Less than a year ago I bought this brand new: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-deal#xenforo-comments-3581510

To think that I could turn around and sell it a year later for more than 300% of its price is absolutely insanely tempting... Just the principle of it! I mean, I could drop in my old 6970 2gb and go back to playing older games... What a crazy market! Total insanity.

Correct :) Bought used RX 580 4GB for 100€ as Christmas present from our local craigslist in December. Now price for this same used card in same site is already doubled.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I wouldn't sell it, as it only takes bad luck and me needing a new GPU... the 960 isn't a great alternative but since only other one is Intel graphics in the 4690K, I think I would accept it while looking for an expensive replacement.

I would prefer it if a replacement was possible to buy.
I don't know if I would sell a GPU now when spares so handy to have.
hmm, a good point - spares would definitely be needed. I do have an extra RX 580 that a friend from work loaned me before the pandemic. Twice I've offered to drop it off with him, and he just says "no hurry."

I'd even offer to try to sell it for him at the currently inflated prices, but, knowing our luck, the day after I did that, the card he's currently using would probably keel over.

Man, selling my GTX 1080 literally about a month before the crypto-surge is looking more and more like a bad move every day....

logainofhades

Titan
I have a 970, that I bought off of someone, on one of the discord channels I am on, for $25+ shipping, last year. Best purchase ever, apparently. It is currently my backup card, as my 1080ti is fubar, and my 980ti isn't exactly doing well either. Lots of F@H hours on both of those cards. Been trying to get an RX 6800, and then use my RTX 2060 KO, as a backup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its bad when even all the fake GPU on wish have been bought out as they might work... maybe... without killing your PC in the first 5 minutes.

When the people who would normally sell their old parts can't because they might need them, everyone else loses out.
The great GPU Drought of 2021 continues.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
Correct :) Bought used RX 580 4GB for 100€ as Christmas present from our local craigslist in December. Now price for this same used card in same site is already doubled.

Before all this i was picking up bulk deals on R9 390's for like $55 a piece, and RX 470 and 570 4GB's for $65 - 70 a piece after the 390's dried up. I bought a Vega 56 for $180, a GTX 1070 for $150, and the current RX 5700 im using for $260. I don't see those deals coming back for a little while, but when the bottom finally falls out, there are going to be some sweet pickings.

Before all this i was picking up bulk deals on R9 390's for like $55 a piece, and RX 470 and 570 4GB's for $65 - 70 a piece after the 390's dried up. I bought a Vega 56 for $180, a GTX 1070 for $150, and the current RX 5700 im using for $260. I don't see those deals coming back for a little while, but when the bottom finally falls out, there are going to be some sweet pickings.

True. Now I'm a little sad about GTX 770 2GB sold by me about 60€ in January. Should ask at least 90€ for it. But it was included in a bulk deal together with my old system made still in November 2020 and I'm not that scrooge.

rbtree

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Digging through current ebay pricing and real-world performance, Nvidia's 2014-era GTX 970 emerges as a value champ.

2014-Era GTX 970 Emerges as Value GPU on eBay During Shortage : Read more
Great article!
Thanks.

I'm about to try to sell my 970, a 3 fan Gigabyte card. I managed to sell an extra 1070 for net 398 after PP fees and shipping. had 20 replies on facebook Mktplace.

Leaves me with 3 for my 3 PC's: 106-6 gb, 1070 and 1080. They're all great for my main use, photo editing and light video editing. If I ever get more into vid editing, or even figure out how to work with the 8K raw files that my latest masterpiece, the Canon R5 can produce, I'll be wanting one of the latest cards. I can wait till prices come back to earth!

My Ryzen 9 3900X is fine, though some pros run Threadrippers and maybe the expensive professional GPU's

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU