Question 2022 version of H7 Flow cooling question

Jan 5, 2024
What I'm looking to do with this case is achieve a slightly positive Pressure air cooling environment since the house is kind of dusty.

My initial thoughts are: 3X 140mm Arctic P14s on front intake and set them up to run at around 80%, 2X of the same on top as exhaust running at about 70% and a single 140mm exhaust at the rear set to 60%.
I'll have a Phantom Spirit 120 Evo as the CPU cooler. Am I way off here? Or might it work?
I think I can set this up in Smart Fan 6 since it's a Gigabyte B650 Aorus elite AX motherboard.
Thoughts?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There's a factor in this that males it impossible to be SURE you plan works just from the counts of fans and their speeds. That is that the INTAKE fans on front have dust filters that do reduce their air flow slightly, but by how much you cannot know.

Your plan is a good starting point, but you CAN adjust it AFTER it is running to be sure. The key is to measure what REALLY is happening, as follows. This requires a small source of smoke like an incense stick or a cigarette smouldering. You use it for smoke tracing.

Get your system set up and running at idle. Now slowly move the smoke source around the outside of the case near any small openings or cracks and observe the smoke movement. If it is sucked into the case you have a negative internal pressure and need more intake or less exhaust. If it flows away from the case slowly, your air balance is ideal. If it flows away VERY fast, you have too high internal pressure and can reduce intake or increase exhaust.

Now get your system working on a modest workload and repeat. Then do it at max workload. With these smoke tracer observations you can decide how to adjust your fan settings, then re-do the tests until you are satisfied they are set for all workloads.

Jan 5, 2024
Thanks, Paperdoc.

My new case will be the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX. Here's what I found after looking into this a bit. The case comes with 3, 140mm fans pre-installed. One on Top, one Rear & one Front.
I saw Hardware Canucks do a test with the default and several other configs of fans and the winner of the comparison was taking the Top fan and putting in in Front as a second Intake. No fans up Top. And just the Rear Exhaust.
It's completely non-intuitive but there you have it.

I'd like to find out what other's think of this video.

How Many Case Fans Do You REALLY Need?

Last edited: