[SOLVED] 2070 and Ryzen 5 1600

Dec 7, 2021
So, long story but I am upgrading my gtx 1660 to a rtx 2070. I currently run a ryzen 5 1600 on a msi b350m mbo, very outdated. I am buying the gpu second hand and also is giving me a i7 8700k, an Asus prime z370 MBO, and a CoolerMaster AIO for a very very good deal. I wasn't planning on upgrading anything except for the gpu but this was a good deal so i bought it. How much better would my pc run games with a 2070 and the ryzen 5 1600 over the 1660 super? Will the cpu bottleneck it too much to the point where it wont be noticable? My plan was to keep the gpu and then sell the other parts off for profit but would it be worth changing the mbo and the cpu and selling my old parts? I only game on the system and am looking to spend as least money as possible but if the 2070 will be not much of a difference over the 1660 because of the old cpu, then I would keep the cpu. Thoughts? Thanks.

Solution
my old/secondary system is an 8700K + GTX 1080 Ti(slightly more powerful than a 2070) in a Strix Z370-E.

running 3440x1440p with the most demanding games out there; Cyberpunk 2077, Deliverance: Kingdom Come, etc
with a mix of medium+ultra settings i was easily passing 60fps but finding it hard to maintain over 70.

in your average, not so graphically demanding, AAA game it can easily get ≥80fps with maxed settings.
would it be worth changing the mbo and the cpu and selling my old parts?
your new setup would be noticeably more powerful than your current.
the Ryzen 1600 will have serious trouble providing enough frames to the 2070 to reach it's potential and get any decent frame rates in most games.
my old/secondary system is an 8700K + GTX 1080 Ti(slightly more powerful than a 2070) in a Strix Z370-E.

running 3440x1440p with the most demanding games out there; Cyberpunk 2077, Deliverance: Kingdom Come, etc
with a mix of medium+ultra settings i was easily passing 60fps but finding it hard to maintain over 70.

in your average, not so graphically demanding, AAA game it can easily get ≥80fps with maxed settings.
would it be worth changing the mbo and the cpu and selling my old parts?
the Ryzen 1600 will have serious trouble providing enough frames to the 2070 to reach it's potential and get any decent frame rates in most games.

Solution
Dec 7, 2021

Even if the cpu struggles do you think I will still see a big difference?

Dec 7, 2021
Yep, okay thanks. I am gonna sell the other parts off for profit and then maybe buy a new ryzen cpu because my mbo does not support intel. What is the cheapest ryzen cpu that would get the 2070s full potential?

What is the cheapest ryzen cpu that would get the 2070s full potential?
i couldn't tell you.
i don't pay much attention to lower end processors and have not really paid much attention to what AMD has in the works since the FX series.

start a new thread asking specifically what the community recommends as the lowest end Ryzen capable of good gaming with that card and what memory you should pair with it.
or if it would be worth waiting for their newest line to drop.

include the resolution you will be playing at,
what games in particular you are interested in,
what frame rates you would like to reach,
and how long you would intend on using this system before upgrading again.