[SOLVED] 2080 - drop fps and max fan speed?

qnkov

Prominent
Dec 31, 2020
Hello there. Cuz i had around 85* , i've open my 2080 and repaste it. After i started Apex Legends, or CS:GO, my GPU FANs are running on MAX. I've checked my temps, they start running on max around 69* temp. I've played with those fans for around 10 min on Apex Legends. Max GPU temp was 73* and FPS was bad. So, anyone can tell me what's the problem here? What did happen with that video card? I've checked the screws, they are ok. Thermalpads are there too. Did any VRAM or something got broke?

Solution
Max GPU temp was 73* and FPS was bad. So, anyone can tell me what's the problem here? What did happen with that video card? I've checked the screws, they are ok. Thermalpads are there too. Did any VRAM or something got broke?

This happened because you probably did a poor job repasting the card or maybe after re-assembling the heatsink is not making proper contact with the GPU die.

Your fan is running at max speed because the GPU cannot be cooled properly and for that matter the GPU is most likely forced to be clocking way down to keep the temperatures in check, hence the low fps.

My advice for you is to take that GPU apart(again) and make sure that you re-paste it and screw everything in properly. Also pay attention to those...
Apr 27, 2021
I don't get it why you fingers your card and you play CS:GO and Apex ? You can run those games with a 1060 card. Why you open the HSF and void your warranty and let disasters like the one your facing happen. For what reason? The GPU can go up to 100c and still work. Nominal temp for nVidia is 95c and below. Your OCing wouldn't change and has to do with limitation not temps being 90c ,,,,,,,,,,,, Anyhow so the fan is spinning non stop at 100 percent during gaming or in the desktop as well? If I undrestood correctly and see what we can figure out.

qnkov

Prominent
Dec 31, 2020
Right now, if my video card hit 69, my fans are running max speed, i would say more than max speed. If it's below, everything it's ok. My Dekstop temperatures are like 50-55. But once i start a game like cs:go or apex, they hit right away 69* and the fans are going berserk. Even using MSI afterburner to control the fans, nothing can stop this max speed when i hit 69*. Not sure what happened and how it can be fixed. After 2-3 days i will try this video card on another computer and i will see if it's the same.

Apr 27, 2021
Right now, if my video card hit 69, my fans are running max speed, i would say more than max speed. If it's below, everything it's ok. My Dekstop temperatures are like 50-55. But once i start a game like cs:go or apex, they hit right away 69* and the fans are going berserk. Even using MSI afterburner to control the fans, nothing can stop this max speed when i hit 69*. Not sure what happened and how it can be fixed. After 2-3 days i will try this video card on another computer and i will see if it's the same.
Oh ya, I suggest grab MSI AB and set the fan manually on a curve where it spins at 100 percent at 80c and above,, in desktop it would be set very low then slowly take the curve up so by the time you launch the game its spinning at 60 to 80 percent,, then finishes off at 100 percent with a demanding game.

Max GPU temp was 73* and FPS was bad. So, anyone can tell me what's the problem here? What did happen with that video card? I've checked the screws, they are ok. Thermalpads are there too. Did any VRAM or something got broke?

This happened because you probably did a poor job repasting the card or maybe after re-assembling the heatsink is not making proper contact with the GPU die.

Your fan is running at max speed because the GPU cannot be cooled properly and for that matter the GPU is most likely forced to be clocking way down to keep the temperatures in check, hence the low fps.

My advice for you is to take that GPU apart(again) and make sure that you re-paste it and screw everything in properly. Also pay attention to those thermal pads and make sure all of them are touching your VRAM and VRM.

Solution

qnkov

Prominent
Dec 31, 2020
I've opne it for third time and i've saw that i had paste only on half heatsink, like it's not making good contact on the chip. It should be all over the heatsink as square, right ? I did check everything again and thermalpads was there, but still the same. Maybe that's the reason for what happens. I will take my video card to service to replace those thermalpads and check everything. And something else, maybe it's not the reason.... but. When i repaste the video card accidentally i've stopped one of the fans with my hand, but it started running right away again.

qnkov

Prominent
Dec 31, 2020
Of course no. I needed to remove a cable under the fans, so accidentally i stopped one of the fans with my hand. But everything was running back again.