[SOLVED] 2080ti and i7700k

Nov 11, 2020
Hi guys new to this forum. I have a 2080ti paired with a i7 7700k. I'm on warzone and I was expecting to be getting around 100-130 fps not dropping below 100 really. I'm getting drops 50% of the game to a low of 70 which is annoying is there anyway to get it stable? I don't think it's a bottle neck as it's a 1440p res and it's only using 60-75% cpu and 95% gpu. Temps are about 60-70 degrees give or take for cpu. Temps for gpu go to about 72 max but it's a blower 2080ti turbo which run hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am I just being a drama queen with the FPS or should I be getting better? Also I was getting 110-140 on destiny 2 ultra settings. I've maxed out the warzone ones to keep as much stress of the cpu as possible. Also when I turn down the settings the FPS is pretty much the same. Thanks for reading

Solution
Hi guys new to this forum. I have a 2080ti paired with a i7 7700k. I'm on warzone and I was expecting to be getting around 100-130 fps not dropping below 100 really. I'm getting drops 50% of the game to a low of 70 which is annoying is there anyway to get it stable? I don't think it's a bottle neck as it's a 1440p res and it's only using 60-75% cpu and 95% gpu. Temps are about 60-70 degrees give or take for cpu. Temps for gpu go to about 72 max but it's a blower 2080ti turbo which run hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am I just being a drama queen with the FPS or should I be getting better? Also I was getting 110-140 on destiny 2 ultra settings. I've maxed out the warzone ones to keep as much stress of the cpu as...

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
well before to change your hardware, you can try settings explained on the reddit post ?

also for high FPS gaming, you will better served with a ryzen 5000 series or intel 10th gen . both upgrades would need a change of the motherboard.

Nov 11, 2020
Yes I'll give that a wee try tomorrow when I'm home and if it comes to it I think I might lean towards a ryzen!! Christmas is coming soon anyway and I need to buy myself something lol. Thanks a lot ill let you know how I get on tomorrow

Nov 11, 2020
Mines not actually stuttering though it's just dropping FPS just would like more stable FPS really and I think it could be higher than what it is with a 2080ti

Hi guys new to this forum. I have a 2080ti paired with a i7 7700k. I'm on warzone and I was expecting to be getting around 100-130 fps not dropping below 100 really. I'm getting drops 50% of the game to a low of 70 which is annoying is there anyway to get it stable? I don't think it's a bottle neck as it's a 1440p res and it's only using 60-75% cpu and 95% gpu. Temps are about 60-70 degrees give or take for cpu. Temps for gpu go to about 72 max but it's a blower 2080ti turbo which run hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am I just being a drama queen with the FPS or should I be getting better? Also I was getting 110-140 on destiny 2 ultra settings. I've maxed out the warzone ones to keep as much stress of the cpu as possible. Also when I turn down the settings the FPS is pretty much the same. Thanks for reading

Welcome to the forums.

There is a common misconception that you can't be CPU bottlenecked at 1440p or 4k, only 1080p. This is false. As games get more complex and are designed with more powerful hardware in mind, the demands placed on CPUs and GPUs change and bottlenecks can occur where they haven't before. I play MSFS 2020 at 4K, and I occasionally get bottlenecks over my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (people keep saying PCIe 4.0 makes no difference, that's not true anymore) and sometimes my i7-9700k (8 cores, 5.1 GHz) bottlenecks my RTX 2080 under the same circumstances, at 4K.

The point is, just because you are playing at 1440p does not mean a four-year-old 4 core 8 thread CPU is going to be able to keep up with a RTX 2080 Ti. Warzone is a CPU-intensive game and the benchmarks that you probably saw that gave you the expectation of 100-130 fps were 100% I guarantee you performed with significantly more powerful CPUs.

As far as upgrading, I agree, I think you should go with a Ryzen 5000 series build; with the hardware available right now, there is no compelling reason to build an Intel system. I'd recommend a X570 series motherboard and a Ryzen 5800x. Feed it some low-latency high-frequency RAM (very important with a Ryzen build) and you should be more than good to go.

Solution
Nov 11, 2020
Welcome to the forums.

There is a common misconception that you can't be CPU bottlenecked at 1440p or 4k, only 1080p. This is false. As games get more complex and are designed with more powerful hardware in mind, the demands placed on CPUs and GPUs change and bottlenecks can occur where they haven't before. I play MSFS 2020 at 4K, and I occasionally get bottlenecks over my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (people keep saying PCIe 4.0 makes no difference, that's not true anymore) and sometimes my i7-9700k (8 cores, 5.1 GHz) bottlenecks my RTX 2080 under the same circumstances, at 4K.

The point is, just because you are playing at 1440p does not mean a four-year-old 4 core 8 thread CPU is going to be able to keep up with a RTX 2080 Ti. Warzone is a CPU-intensive game and the benchmarks that you probably saw that gave you the expectation of 100-130 fps were 100% I guarantee you performed with significantly more powerful CPUs.

As far as upgrading, I agree, I think you should go with a Ryzen 5000 series build; with the hardware available right now, there is no compelling reason to build an Intel system. I'd recommend a X570 series motherboard and a Ryzen 5800x. Feed it some low-latency high-frequency RAM (very important with a Ryzen build) and you should be more than good to go.
Thanks very much! I shall price up and see what I can do! Thanks for explaining. I also clocked on the warzone website says it wants 6 cores! It still plays okay so I'll manage a wee while longer then upgrade! Thanks 🙏

Nov 11, 2020
Thanks very much! I shall price up and see what I can do! Thanks for explaining. I also clocked on the warzone website says it wants 6 cores! It still plays okay so I'll manage a wee while longer then upgrade! Thanks 🙏
Haha won't be getting that cpu anything soon lol what a price!! Is there anything else you would recommend ? Or should I just be looking for 6-8 cores and a gaming spec one

Haha won't be getting that cpu anything soon lol what a price!! Is there anything else you would recommend ? Or should I just be looking for 6-8 cores and a gaming spec one

Your i7-7700k is the best CPU that is compatible with your current motherboard, thus in order to upgrade your CPU, you'll need a new motherboard one way or another.

The new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are such an improvement over the old 3000 series CPUs (and better than currently available Intel CPUs) that I'd say you should get at a minimum a Ryzen 5600x. It has 6 cores and 12 threads which means your fine for modern games right now, but might be bottlenecked three years down the road much like you are with your i7-7700k right now. If you can live with that possibility, that is your best option.