[SOLVED] 2080ti and i9 10900k thoroughly underpreforming

dansmith23445

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
Hi,

I recently purchased a computer with a 2080ti and i9 10900k expecting to run pretty much all games smoothly but about a day into owning the pc, I noticed some problems with my average frame rate on most games. When I compared my fps to benchmarks online, there was at least a 20% decrease in fps with my system (even though the benchmark was with the same components). I realized there was a problem when I started playing RDR2 which ran poorly on max setting 1080p (40fps) so I decreased the resolution all the way to 800x600 and only saw a 10 fps increase. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

A link to my UserBenchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32585674

Thanks,
Dan

Solution
4.2 GHz on a 10900k is seriously underperforming. That CPU is capable of 5 GHz on all ten cores all day long, and sometimes can boost as high as 5.3 GHz on one core if you feed it with enough power and keep it properly cooled. High clock speeds drive high frame rates, so its no wonder you are seeing low FPS.

Yeah, definitely sounds like you are being hamstrung by a low-quality motherboard. Your 2080ti can't crank out frames unless it is being properly fed frames by the CPU, and your 10900k can't send enough frames to your 2080Ti if your motherboard can't feed it enough power.

Not to be rude, but sticking a 10900k in anything other than a Z490-series motherboard is a questionable choice at best. Your build sounds like almost all the...
Why? I'm curious. That's a new board right? Is the VRM's bad?

Or the fact that the board is non overclockable?
Yes the motherboard VRM’s are woefully inadequate. You need a high quality Z490 even if not overclocking.

Here, that board has a power limit of 125w https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-B460-H470-motherboards-overclocking-asus
The 10900k can peak up to 250w at stock https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review/2

What cpu cooler are you using? The 10900k is a beast and needs high end motherboard and cooling to tame it.

dansmith23445

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
Yes the motherboard VRM’s are woefully inadequate. You need a high quality Z490 even if not overclocking.

Here, that board has a power limit of 125w https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-B460-H470-motherboards-overclocking-asus
The 10900k can peak up to 250w at stock https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review/2

What cpu cooler are you using? The 10900k is a beast and needs high end motherboard and cooling to tame it.
Corsair H100x CPU Cooler

Thanks for that info. I am familiar with AMD's board and most of Intel boards but that one I was like "Wth is this" ;p

4.2 GHz on a 10900k is seriously underperforming. That CPU is capable of 5 GHz on all ten cores all day long, and sometimes can boost as high as 5.3 GHz on one core if you feed it with enough power and keep it properly cooled. High clock speeds drive high frame rates, so its no wonder you are seeing low FPS.

Yeah, definitely sounds like you are being hamstrung by a low-quality motherboard. Your 2080ti can't crank out frames unless it is being properly fed frames by the CPU, and your 10900k can't send enough frames to your 2080Ti if your motherboard can't feed it enough power.

Not to be rude, but sticking a 10900k in anything other than a Z490-series motherboard is a questionable choice at best. Your build sounds like almost all the money was spent on the CPU and GPU and not a whole lot was left over for supporting components. When you buy the best CPU and GPU, you need equivalently good supporting components to allow the CPU and GPU to perform at their best. The fact that you are getting 20% worse performance than benchmarks with similar hardware is not surprising in this case.

In order of significance, here are the items that should be replaced in order to increase performance:

1. Your motherboard: a high-quality Z490 motherboard that is known to have the VRM capacity to feed the hungry 10900k.

2. Your CPU cooler: The 10900k outputs a ridiculous amount of heat when pushed. Anything less than a 280 mm or 360 mm AIO is leaving performance on the table. If you can't be bothered to buy another AIO, at least crank up the pump speed and fan speed of your 240 mm AIO in order to remove as much heat from the CPU as you can.

3. Your PSU: Corsair makes good PSUs (I myself have one) but a 650 watt PSU really isn't a good idea for a 10900k and 2080Ti. If overclocked, these two components can easily pull a combined 600 watts from the wall on their own. For a high-end build like yours, something like a Corsair AX850 should be on your short list.

EDIT: For kicks, I plugged your system specs into the Seasonic PSU wattage calculator (accounting for boost clocks on the 2080 Ti and for high clocks on the 10900k) and without accounting for any case fans or peripherals not mentioned in your posts, your combined system power draw is 735 watts. A new PSU is definitely in order.

Last edited:
Solution

dansmith23445

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020

Not to be rude, but sticking a 10900k in anything other than a Z490-series motherboard is a questionable choice at best. Your build sounds like almost all the money was spent on the CPU and GPU and not a whole lot was left over for supporting components. When you buy the best CPU and GPU, you need equivalently good supporting components to allow the CPU and GPU to perform at their best. The fact that you are getting 20% worse performance than benchmarks with similar hardware is not surprising in this case.

In order of significance, here are the items that should be replaced in order to increase performance:

1. Your motherboard: a high-quality Z490 motherboard that is known to have the VRM capacity to feed the hungry 10900k.

2. Your CPU cooler: The 10900k outputs a ridiculous amount of heat when pushed. Anything less than a 280 mm or 360 mm AIO is leaving performance on the table. If you can't be bothered to buy another AIO, at least crank up the pump speed and fan speed of your 240 mm AIO in order to remove as much heat from the CPU as you can.

3. Your PSU: Corsair makes good PSUs (I myself have one) but a 650 watt PSU really isn't a good idea for a 10900k and 2080Ti. If overclocked, these two components can easily pull a combined 600 watts from the wall on their own. For a high-end build like yours, something like a Corsair AX850 should be on your short list.

EDIT: For kicks, I plugged your system specs into the Seasonic PSU wattage calculator (accounting for boost clocks on the 2080 Ti and for high clocks on the 10900k) and without accounting for any case fans or peripherals not mentioned in your posts, your combined system power draw is 735 watts. A new PSU is definitely in order.
Damn, no wonder I was having problems. Thank you for your advice and the fast reply’s, I’m gonna look into a new PSU and motherboard.

Latest posts