Question 2080ti fans go above 100% speed at regular load temps

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I've had the Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080ti for half a year but this has been happening only the past week, and only in graphically demanding games. You can see here -
View:
View: https://youtu.be/xJuersihcdo

Basically the fans will go way above 100% fan speed randomly when it's at heavy load. My GPU temps are usually around 82 degrees when this happens. I also have a custom fan curve set with 5 case fans in a Meshify C case and my CPU hasn't gone above ~65 degrees. . Capping fps at 60 will prevent this from happening, but considering I have a 144hz monitor that's not really optimal. Things I've tried so far are cleaning the gpu and updating/reinstalling my video drivers.

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
It reaches 100% at 84c in demanding games like Destiny 2 or Monster Hunter World especially when I go for 144fps. The thing is that I've used it for 6 months now and it never went higher than 100%. Feels like some kind of emergency cooling or something.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It reaches 100% at 84c in demanding games like Destiny 2 or Monster Hunter World especially when I go for 144fps. The thing is that I've used it for 6 months now and it never went higher than 100%. Feels like some kind of emergency cooling or something.
It's normal, as far as I see it. You're hitting the thermal limits on the gpu: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/205681/gigabyte-rtx2080ti-11264-180928

Nevermind the gpu, when's the last time you cleaned out the case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
From what you've posted so far, it's not really random. They're jumping to full blast because of throttle temps.

Well, is the gpu running with the latest vbios?
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080TGAMING-OC-11GC/support#support-dl-bios
Yep, it is.

Also, the first time this happened was in ETS2, where I had uncapped fps in the menu and reached around 1600fps. I was running much more demanding games at the same temps and settings without any fan problems until that. It feels more like a software issue imo.

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
So the problems started when you uncapped fps in ETS2.
Did resetting the cap in ETS2 change anything?
The fps in the menu was already uncapped and I reached around 1500fps. Thats when the gpu fans started going crazy and I turned off the game because I thought it was dying or something. It might be just a coincidence that it was ETS2 exactly, but that's when it first happened.

Ever since then if my fps is uncapped (or above ~100) in a more graphically demanding game, the fans will sometimes go above max speed (as seen in the video). Even in some older, less demanding games it will try to push out as much frames as possible and get hotter whereas that wasn't the case before.

At the same time it doesn't seem to be throttling since I don't get any performance loss and my temperatures are mostly the same as before I had any issues - definitely not low, but the same as everyone else with that exact same GPU. So far the only fix has been using vsync or capping my fps depending on the game.

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
That's... not the latest vbios.
90.02.17.00.78 bios is from Oct/Nov of 2018: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=10DE-1E07-1458-37A9

How to reflash your VGA bios? (by Nvidia)
F5 is the latest bios for your gpu, and it was released in March of last year: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080TGAMING-OC-11GC/support#support-dl-bios

Ok yeah it's my bad, I thought I had updated it a few months ago. When I try now though, I get an error that I need to "close Aorus Engine before updating" and that the bios version does not match ? That's with F5.

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Sorry for the late reply but I was away from my pc for a week. Bad news is that I couldn't update the gpu bios from the Aorus app either.
It says "Detecting update information is failure. Please try again later." Of course, trying again later didn't help.
About the fan speeds - I just checked HWmonitor and it shows that it reaches 3900rpm while at 100% in msi afterburner it's around 2500.

bishopsdx

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I finally solved the problem - it was the extremely dried out thermal paste. Temperatures kept getting progressively worse, which led me to believe it was indeed a hardware problem. I was linked to a thread in the gigabyte forum and it turns out that a lot of 2080ti's have this problem. So it turns out that replacing the thermal paste is the only legit solution.

I used Arctis Silver 5 and now my temperatures are 10 degrees lower and there's no more 4k rpm fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I finally solved the problem - it was the extremely dried out thermal paste. Temperatures kept getting progressively worse, which led me to believe it was indeed a hardware problem. I was linked to a thread in the gigabyte forum and it turns out that a lot of 2080ti's have this problem. So it turns out that replacing the thermal paste is the only legit solution.

I used Arctis Silver 5 and now my temperatures are 10 degrees lower and there's no more 4k rpm fans.
That straight up sounds like a QC issue. 2080Ti hasn't been out that long; thermal paste shouldn't be drying out that fast...